29 September 1959 |
Jon Olav Fosse (born 29 September 1959) is a Norwegian author and dramatist.
Fosse was born in Haugesund, Norway. He debuted in 1983 with the novel Raudt, svart (Red, black). His first play, Og aldri skal vi skiljast, was performed and published in 1994. Jon Fosse has written novels, short stories, poetry, children's books, essays and plays. His works have been translated into more than forty languages.
Since 2011, Fosse has been granted the Grotten, an honorary residence owned by the Norwegian state and located on the premises of the Royal Palace in the city centre of Oslo. Use of the Grotten as a permanent residence is an honour specially bestowed by the King of Norway for contributions to Norwegian arts and culture.
Thrice married, he lives part of the time with his Slovak wife in Hainburg an der Donau. He also has a home in Bergen. Originally a member of the Church of Norway, he converted to the Catholic Church in 2013.
Honours and awards
- Nynorsk Literature Prize (1988)
- Aschehoug Prize (1997 )
- Dobloug Prize (1999 )
- Norsk kulturråds ærespris (2003)
- Nynorsk Literature Prize (2003)
- Chevalier of the Ordre national du Mérite of France (2003)
- Brage Prize (2005)
- Commander of the Royal Norwegian Order of St. Olav (2005)
- The Swedish Academy Nordic Prize (2007)
- The Federal Ministry of Family Affairs' Deutscher Jugendliteraturpreis (2007)
- The Ibsen Award (2010)
- Alfred Fidjestøl (24 October 2007). "Åtvarer mot kjendiseriet". Klassekampen (in Norwegian). Retrieved 6 February 2009.
- Top 100 living geniuses
- Kjell Kvamme (16 November 2013) Jon Fosse katolikk: Som å kome heim Vårt Land. Retrieved 16 November 2013 (Norwegian)
- Fransk heder til Fosse, nrk.no.
- Fosse, Jon (2005). Plays Four. Modern playwrights. London: Oberon. ISBN 1-84002-479-8.
- Jon Fosse at the Internet Movie Database
- Jon Fosse at Doollee.com
- Vincent Rafis, Mémoire et voix des morts dans le théâtre de Jon Fosse, Les presses du réel, Dijon, 2009 : http://www.lespressesdureel.com/ouvrage.php?id=1198&menu=
- Andrew Dickson: Jon Fosse: 'The idea of writing another play doesn't give me pleasure' The Guardian, 12 March 2014. Retrieved 22 August 2014.
Karsten Alnæs and
|Recipient of the Dobloug Prize
(shared with Åse-Marie Nesse)
Jan Kjærstad and
|Recipient of the Norsk kulturråds ærespris