|Independent-Republican candidate for
Governor of Minnesota
|Opponent(s)||Rudy Perpich (DFL)
Arne Carlson (Write-In/I-R)
|Born||November 11, 1945 (age 68)|
|Spouse(s)||Vicki (to 1998)|
Jon Grunseth (born November 11, 1945) was a Minnesota businessman and politician and the 1990 Independent-Republican nominee for Governor of Minnesota. Grunseth won his party's endorsement and won its primary election, but was forced to quit the race nine days before election day in the wake of a scandal.
Grunseth, the Ecolab Vice President of Public Affairs, earned the Independent-Republican Party's endorsement at their state convention, defeating moderate State Auditor Arne Carlson. He defeated Carlson again in the primary to become the main opposition to two-term incumbent Governor Rudy Perpich.
On October 15, 1990, it was revealed that, in 1981, Grunseth had invited three then-teenaged friends of his step-daughter, as well as his step-daughter herself, to go skinny-dipping in the pool at his home. The revelations severely damaged his candidacy, leading Carlson to re-enter the race as a write-in candidate.
Facing certain defeat, Grunseth withdrew from the race on October 28, 1990. Carlson, the runner-up in the primary, replaced him on the ballot and ultimately defeated Perpich.
- "Minn. nominee quits gov's race". USA Today. October 29, 1990. Archived from the original on March 30, 2009.
- Gilbert, Curtis (November 5, 2010). "Recent race tame compared to 1990 gubernatorial contest". Minnesota Public Radio. Retrieved August 11, 2011.
- "Republican Quits Minnesota Governor's Race". Los Angeles Times. Associated Press. October 29, 1990.
- Fecke, Jeff. "Buckle Your Seat Belts". Blog of the Moderate Left.
- van Berkel, Lody (January 28, 2008). "Many Australian cherry growers caught by extreme heat". Fresh Plaza.
|Party political offices|
|Repulican nominee for Governor of Minnesota
|Endorsed Gubernatorial Candidate,
Minnesota Republican Party State Convention
|This article about a Minnesota politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|