Jay wearing sunglasses during camera day, 2013.
|St. Louis Cardinals – No. 19|
March 15, 1985 |
|Bats: Left||Throws: Left|
|April 26, 2010 for the St. Louis Cardinals|
(through 2013 season)
|Runs batted in||171|
|Career highlights and awards|
Jon Jay went to middle school at G.W. Carver Middle School and attended high school at Christopher Columbus High School, in Miami, Florida. He showed exceptional skill at his high school, eventually winning the state championship in 2003, during his senior year. He then got a scholarship at the University of Miami. He was drafted by the Cardinals out of the University of Miami in the second round (74th overall) of the 2006 MLB Draft.
Jay made his Major League debut on April 26, 2010.
Between August 24, 2011 and July 30, 2013, Jay established a new NL all-time errorless streak record for centerfielders at 245 games against the Pittsburgh Pirates. It is also the longest streak for all Cardinals outfielders. Curt Flood, a former Cardinal, owned the previous center field record of 226 games spanning from Sept. 3, 1965 to Jun. 2, 1967.
On January 28, 2011, Jon Jay hosted a charity bowling event at Lucky Strikes Lanes in Miami Beach, Florida. Called Jon Jay's Celebrity Bowling Challenge, an estimated $25,000 were accumulated throughout the almost four hour event and went to The Chapman Partnership, involved in homeless centers throughout the Miami-area. Jon and his family had been involved in charities just like The Chapman Partnership throughout his childhood. Among the twenty Major League Baseball attendees were Yonder Alonso, J.P. Arencibia, Gio Gonzalez, Drew Storen, Chris Marrero, Tyler Greene, Allen Craig, Lance Lynn, John Mayberry, Gaby Sanchez, Manny Machado, and Mike Lowell. Chris Bosh was also present.
Jon Jay married his longtime girlfriend, Nikki Stecich, on November the 9, 2013. They reside in Miami, FL.
- MLB Bio
- Associated Press, "Jon Jay placed on disabled list", ESPN, 15 May 2012
- "GAME INFORMATION" (PDF). St. Louis Cardinals. July 5, 2013.
- "GAME INFORMATION" (PDF). St. Louis Cardinals. July 31, 2013.
- "Jon Jay's Celebrity Bowling Challenge", Eventbrite
- David Villavicencio , "Jay and friends roll strikes for charity", MLB.com, 29 Jan. 2012
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Jay player profile page at Scout.com