|Genres||Pop & Blues|
|Website||Jon Jonsson Music|
Early life and education
Jonsson has been a performer since the age of 10. He is a native of Iceland He started music in his local music school in Iceland and took part in productions in high school and college. He studied in Boston University on a soccer scholarship. While in college, he pursued acting while writing, recording, and performing his own music. performing at local venues.
After graduating in 2009, Jón returned to Iceland and became a professional musician. He cooperates with Kristján Bjarnason who takes part in arrangements and recording of Jón Jónsson's music in their stdio. His first singles "Lately" and "Kiss in the Morning" had considerable radio play and his third single "When You're Around" reached number 2 in Lagalistinn Top 30 followed by "Sooner or Later".
Debut album was released on the 4th of July in 2011 called Wait for Fate and was certified gold. "Get In" his fifth single reached number 2 on "Lagalistinn". Anotjher single "All, You, I" was a non-album release. He took part in a number of festovals including Icelandic Culture Night, the Icelandic Independence Day, and the Þjóðhátíð Music Festival.
In August 2012, Jón traveled to New York with his friend, Kristján Bjarnason, and after an audition with L.A. Reid was signed to Reid's Epic Records label.
Jonsson’s first four singles were in the top 30 on Iceland music charts and he was also received a People's Choice Award as the Best New Artist from Iceland's FM 957. His songs are heard in regular rotation on radio and some have reached top 10 on Bylgjan and Rás 2 radio as well as the Icelandic Billboard.
Jonsson has been referred to as the European version of Jack Jonson, John Mayer, and Gavin DeGraw. His music contains a mix of pop and R&B with undertones of R&B. His songs range from romantic lyric ballads to piano and guitar driven pop.
- Kristján Bjarnason - piano, keyboards, arrangements
- Steini Gudjonsson - electric guitar
- Binni Unnsteinsson - bass
- Andri Bjartur Jakobsson - drums
Awards and nominations
- Won "Best Newcomer" in People's Choice Awards in Iceland by popular vote.
- February 2012: Nomination for "Most promising Icelandic act" during the Icelandic Music Awards. The award was won by Of Monsters and Men.
In popular culture
In addition to his music career, Jónsson is the editor-in-chief of Monitor, a youth weekly for Monitor. He is active in awareness campaigns for various causes
- He lent his voice to the main character in the Icelandic voice-over for the animated feature, The Lorax.
- An avid sportsman, he supports Fimleikafélag Hafnarfjarðar football (soccer) club
- 2011: Wait for Faith
- "Wanna Get In" (2:54)
- "Kiss in the Morning" (3:42)
- "Sooner or Later" (3:48)
- "Always Gonna Be There" (3:51)
- "Sunny Day in June" (2:41)
- "Little Tree" (4:06)
- "When You're Around" (3:43)
- "Lately" (3:56)
- "Wait for Fate" (4:32)
- "To Her" (4:26)
- "Ocean Girl" (4:10)
- "Miss You So" (5:06)
- 2010: "Lately"
- 2010: "Kiss in the Morning"
- 2011: "When You're Around"
- 2011: "Sooner or Later"
- 2012: "All, You, I"
- 2013: "Feel for You"
- 2014: "Kæri vinur" (duo with Björgvin Halldórsson)
- 2014: "Ljúft að vera til"
- "Jon Jonsson Exclusive Interview". Smokin Charlie Brown. 7 June 2012. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- Zaccarini, Jon (1 June 2012). "Jon Jonsson Wait For Fate Review". Blues Rock Review. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- "Jon Jonsson Signs To Epic Records". Iceland Music Export. 27 November 2012. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- Militello, Joseph (4 October 2012). "CD Review of Wait for Fate by Jon Jonsson". Yahoo. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- Blues Rock Review - Jón Jónsson: Wait for Fate Review
- "Jon Jonsson Is Artist Of The Week". Smokin Charlie Brown. 28 May 2012. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- "Jon Jonsson Performs In New York". Iceland Naturally. 26 August 2011. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- Tónlist - Icelandic Music Charts - Jón Jónsson page