|Jon K. Paulien|
New York City, NY
|Occupation||Protestant, Seventh-day Adventist Theologian|
|Part of a series on|
Seventh-day Adventist portal
Jonathan K. Paulien (born 1949) is a Seventh-day Adventist theologian specializing in the study of books by John in the New Testament (John and Revelation particularly). He was the professor of New Testament Interpretation at Andrews University. As of 2007, he is dean of the Loma Linda University faculty of religion.
Paulien has a BA from Atlantic Union College, and an MDiv and PhD from Andrews University. His doctoral thesis, Decoding Revelation’s Trumpets: Literary Allusions and Interpretation of Revelation 8:7-12 was completed in 1987. Prior to his PhD he worked for several years in New York as a church pastor. Paulien mainly focuses on the books of John and Revelation.
He was professor of New Testament Interpretation at the Seventh-day Adventist Theological Seminary at Andrews University. He spent over two decades at Andrews. On January 1, 2007 he became dean of the Faculty of Religion at Loma Linda University, and it was announced he would be part-time until mid-2007 when his work at Andrews University was complete.
He and his wife Pamella have three children. Their names are Tammy Clouzet, Joel, and Kimberly, the eldest of whom is living with her husband Jean-Marcel Clouzet in Madison, Wisconsin.
Paulien is an expert scholar of the Book of Revelation.
Paulien stated he has found material on the "stages of faith" to be "the most life-changing material I have ever learned or shared."
As of 2008 he has authored 19 books and more than one hundred articles, scholarly papers and other publications.
- 2008. Armageddon at the Door: An Insider's Guide to the Book of Revelation
- 2008. Everlasting Gospel, Ever-Changing World
- 2004. The Deep Things of God: An Insider's Guide to the Book of Revelation
- 2003. John: The Beloved Gospel
- 2002. The Day That Changed the World: Seeking God After September 11
- 2001. Everyday Faith: How to Have an Authentic Relationship With God in the Real World
- 1999. The Millennium Bug: Is This the End of the World As We Know It
- 1995. John: Jesus Gives Life to a New Generation (The Abundant life Bible amplifier) with George R. Knight
- 1994. End Time (full title (As speculation builds, let's keep our eyes focused on) What the Bible says about the end-time)
- 1993. Present Truth in the Real World: The Adventist Struggle to Keep and Share Faith in a Secular Society
- "The End of Historicism? Reflections on the Adventist Approach to Biblical Apocalyptic" - PDF Journal of the Adventist Theological Society 14:2 (Fall 2003), p15–43; PDF JATS 17:1 (Spring 2006), p180–208
- " PDF". Journal of the Adventist Theological Society 9:1–2 (1998), p179–186
- "Armageddon" entry in Anchor Bible Dictionary I:394-5
- Seventh-day Adventist Church
- Seventh-day Adventist theology
- Seventh-day Adventist eschatology
- Loma Linda University
- Revelation-Armageddon.com, Paulien's blog, which has as its purpose "to provide sane, evidence-based information about the Bible’s Book of Revelation" in today's context
- The Battle of Armageddon.com, companion website, also by Paulien
- Articles by Paulien cataloged in the Seventh-day Adventist Periodical Index (SDAPI)
- Andrews University faculty entry
- Loma Linda University faculty entry
- Presenters :: Questions on Doctrine
- Paulien, "Stages of Faith" blog, 8th March 2010. First of a series of blogs about the stages of faith
- Revelation - Armageddon: First Thoughts
|President of the Adventist Society for Religious Studies