His television career began in 1971 at the current affairs department of the BBC in Britain, until he was hired by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation in 1982 to become the executive producer of Four Corners, the ABC's flagship current affairs programme. He was executive producer of Four Corners from 1982 to 1985, of Foreign Correspondent (1992–93), and The 7.30 Report (2001–02). From 1998 to 2000, he was the ABC's foreign correspondent in Washington, D.C.. He returned to Four Corners as a reporter in January 2003.
Awards and honours
- Finalist in the Walkley Awards four times.
- Logie Award winner (1998).
- Awarded Silver Award "for sustained excellence over a quarter of a century" by the United Nations Association of Australia (2003).
- Welch, Dylan: Holmes is new Media Watch presenter, The Sydney Morning Herald, 27 November 2007.
- Crikey - Media briefs: new Seven CEO … Holmes retires … radio ratings …, "Crikey", 1 July 2013.
- Molitorisz, Sacha: The umpire strikes back, The Sydney Morning Herald, 18 February 2008.
- Schwartz, Larry: Television's tough gig, The Age, 14 February 2008.
- Media Watch - New Presenter Jonathan Holmes, ABC TV Publicity, 27 November 2007.
|Presenter of Media Watch
2008 – 2013