Jonathan Law High School
|Jonathan Law High School|
|20 Lansdale Avenue
Milford, Connecticut 06460
|School district||Milford Public Schools|
|Faculty||66.0 (on FTE basis)|
|Student to teacher ratio||12.8|
|Athletics conference||CAS/CIAC Southern Connecticut Conference|
The school was built in the 1960s to accommodate the increased student census caused by the baby-boom after World War II. It was named in honor of the 27th Governor of the Colony of Connecticut, Jonathan Law (August 6, 1674 - November 6, 1750). Until the 1970s, the Milford Public School System continued to include two public high schools, Milford High School in the central part of the city and Jonathan Law High School on the west end of the city, but shortly after the opening of a third, Joseph A. Foran High School on the east end of the city, Milford High School was closed and converted to accommodate municipal administrative offices due to the city's diminishing student census. The school mascot is a humanoid eagle, but male sports teams refer to themselves as the Lawmen.
On April 25, 2014, there was a fatal stabbing in the school's hallways. A 16-year-old female student, Maren Sanchez, was killed, reportedly over a prom dispute. A 16-year-old male student, Chris Plaskon, has been arrested and charged with murder.
Activities & clubs
- Drama Club
- Key Club (volunteer work)
- Keyettes (volunteer work)
- Interact (volunteer work)
- Math Club
- The Advocate (student newspaper) 
- Ultimate Frisbee Club
- School band (marching band in the fall; concert band; jazz band A and B)
- Color Guard/ Winter Guard
- Anime Club
- Gay/Straight Alliance
- Bible Club
- Diversity Club
- Multicultural Club
- Best Buddies
- Natural Helpers
- Unified Sports
- French Club
- Ski/Snowboard Club
- Fishing Club
- "Jonathan Law High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved 2008-01-12.
- "CAS/CIAC Member Search". Connecticut Association of Schools. Retrieved 2008-01-12.
- "Activities". Jonathan Law High School. Retrieved 2008-01-12.
- http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Milford-high-school-student-stabbed-to-death-5429324.php, Connecticut Post, April 26, 2014.
- http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/04/25/connecticut-high-school-student-dies-after-reportedly-being-stabbed-in-prom/, FOX News, April 25, 2014.