Jonathan Lee Riches
Jonathan Lee Riches is a former federal prisoner (inmate #40948-018) known for the many lawsuits he has filed in various United States district courts. Riches was incarcerated at Federal Medical Center, Lexington, Kentucky, for wire fraud under the terms of a plea bargain. His release date was April 30, 2012. He was arrested for violating his federal probation in December 2012, when he left the Eastern District of the state of Pennsylvania without permission. He allegedly drove to Connecticut and impersonated the uncle of Adam Lanza, the shooter in the Sandy Hook Elementary School incident.
Since January 8, 2006, he has filed over 2600 lawsuits in federal district courts across the country, some of which have received considerable press attention. Among the more famous defendants of his lawsuits are New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick, former President of the United States George W. Bush, Martha Stewart, NASCAR driver Jeff Gordon, former Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick, entrepreneur Steve Jobs, celebrity blogger Perez Hilton, Somali pirates, and pop star Britney Spears. He also sued the late Benazir Bhutto, Pervez Musharraf, and the Immigration and Naturalization Service on November 7, 2007, to prevent him from being deported to Pakistan and tortured upon his release from prison in March 2012. There is no evidence beyond this lawsuit of any attempt to deport Riches.
On April 9, 2008, Riches filed a request for a temporary restraining order in a US District Court against Grand Theft Auto publisher Take-Two, developer Rockstar Games, FCI Williamsburg, and Grand Theft Auto itself, claiming that the defendants "put me in prison." The inmate stated, "Defendants contributed to Plaintiff committing identity theft. Defendant's games show sex, drugs and violence which offends me." Riches continued, "Defendants put me in prison. I face imminent danger from violent inmates who played Grand Theft Auto who will knock me out and take my gold Jesus cross."
Some of Riches' defendants are not even persons subject to suit. These include "Adolf Hitler's National Socialist Party" and the "13 tribes of Israel." One lawsuit, which includes George Bush, also includes another 783 defendants that cover 57 pages. They include Plato, Nostradamus, Che Guevara, James Hoffa, "Various Buddhist Monks," all survivors of the Holocaust, the Lincoln Memorial, the Eiffel Tower, the USS Cole, the book Mein Kampf, the Garden of Eden, the Roman Empire, the Dark Ages, the Appalachian Trail, Plymouth Rock, the Holy Grail, Nordic gods, the dwarf planet Pluto, and the entire Three Mile Island.
A number of Riches's lawsuits have been dismissed as being "frivolous, malicious" or for failure to state a claim upon which relief could be granted. Willis Hunt, the U.S. District Court Judge who dismissed Riches' suit against Vick as "farcical," opined that his lawsuits were clearly self-promotional. As per 28 U.S. Code § 1915(g), he is barred from proceeding in forma pauperis.
- Federal Bureau of Prisons Inmate Locator Accessed October 3, 2007.
- South Carolina inmate hits Michael Vick with '$63,000,000,000 Billion Dollar' lawsuit alleging Al Qaeda ties Fox News. (August 15, 2007) Accessed October 2, 2007.
- Federal Bureau of Prisons Inmate Locator Accessed February 18, 2012.
- "Jonathan Lee Riches Impersonates Adam Lanza's Uncle, 'Jonathan Lanza,' Gets Arrested". Huffington Post. 2012-12-27. Retrieved 2013-03-24.
- Harold, Zack (June 26, 2012). "Former inmate alleges Kardashians, rapper Kanye West conspired with terrorists". Charleston Daily Mail. Retrieved 5 March 2014.
A search on PACER, the U.S. government website for court documents, found more than 2,600 lawsuits filed by Riches and 49 filed by his alias, "Gino Romano."
- US Pacer US Party/Case Index Website maintained by the federal courts; search for Jonathan Riches prisoner cases on March 3, 2008 returned 1017 cases.[original research?]
- "Man of Many Suits", Emil Steiner, The Washington Post
- Belichick Scandal Widens TSG
- Howard, Brian. (April 13–19, 2006). Trial of the century. Philadelphia City Paper. Accessed October 3, 2007.
- Prisoner known for suing celebrities takes on Martha Stewart Boston.com, in connection with The Boston Globe. (September 19, 2007). Accessed October 3, 2007.
- Saxon, Eric. (2007). Inmate files federal complaint against NASCAR star Jeff Gordon wsoctv.com. Accessed October 3, 2007.
- Rankin, Bill (August 17, 2007). "Inmate's bizarre lawsuit against Vick thrown out of court". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Archived from the original on January 19, 2008. Retrieved October 3, 2007.
- Transcript: 'Countdown with Keith Olbermann' for August 15 MSNBC. Accessed October 3, 2007.
- Jade, Kasper. (September 25, 2007).Inmate's suit claims O.J. Simpson is "hitman" for Steve Jobs. Apple Insider. Accessed October 3, 2007.
- "An Embarrassment Of Riches". The Smoking Gun. Retrieved October 19, 2007.
- 2008 West Law 612788
- "Contactmusic.com". Prison Inmate Seeks Spears Restraining Order. Retrieved October 12, 2007.
- "Riches v. Bhutto et al :: Justia Dockets & Filings". News.justia.com. Retrieved 2013-03-24.
- Inmate Files Restraining Order Against 'Grand Theft Auto' Makers FoxNews.com. Accessed April 20, 2008.
- Motion to Authorize to intervene under Rule 7042 & Rule 24(A)2, 24(B) filed by Jonathan Lee Riches. Madoff Trustee Site. Accessed March 26, 2008.
- Clouse, Thomas (May 23, 2009). "Man sues book over most-litigious crown". The Spokesman-Review. Retrieved 25 May 2009.
- Emil Steiner, Man of Many Suits, Jonathan Lee Riches Sues Everyone and Everything, Washington Post, August 23, 2007
- "Riches v. Wooden et al - Document 3". Justia. 2010-06-29. Retrieved 5 March 2014.