Jonathan Nolan, 2012
London, England, UK
|Genres||Crime, thriller, science fiction|
Jonathan "Jonah" Nolan (born 1976) is a British-American television writer, producer, screenwriter and author. He is the creator of the crime drama series Person of Interest and he has co-written several screenplays with his brother, filmmaker Christopher Nolan.
Nolan's short story Memento Mori was used by his elder brother, director Christopher Nolan, as the basis for the critically acclaimed film Memento. Although Jonathan received a "based on a story by" credit, not a screenwriting credit, the brothers shared a nomination for the Academy Award for Best Writing (Original Screenplay) as the film was released before the story was published.
In 2005, Jonathan and Christopher co-wrote the screenplay for The Prestige, which is based on Christopher Priest's novel of the same title. The brothers collaborated yet again on the screenplay for the 2008 blockbuster The Dark Knight. The film went on to become the most financially successful Batman movie of all time, which has since been surpassed by its sequel, The Dark Knight Rises.
On 10 February 2011, CBS picked up Nolan's pilot Person of Interest. The show was officially picked up by CBS on 13 May 2011 to air in fall 2011. The show is currently in its third season. The series stars Jim Caviezel and Michael Emerson. Nolan also serves as executive producer along with J.J. Abrams.
On 9 February 2010, it was announced that Nolan would be writing a screenplay based on a story by his brother Christopher and writer David S. Goyer, for the final installment of Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy, The Dark Knight Rises. After Jonathan completed the screenplay, Christopher made some changes and touched it up. The movie was released on 20 July 2012 in North America.
Nolan has written a screenplay for Interstellar, a science-fiction feature based on the works of theoretical physicist Kip Thorne, who will serve as executive producer. Christopher Nolan was courted to direct the film, but due to it being set up at Paramount Pictures, negotiations had proven laborious due to Christopher's Syncopy Inc. being based at Warner Bros. Studios. In March 2013, a deal was brokered for Christopher Nolan to co-write, direct and produce the film with Paramount distributing domestically, while Warner Bros. will distribute internationally. Emma Thomas and Lynda Obst will also produce.
Nolan has described his working relationship with his brother in the production notes of The Prestige: "I've always suspected that it has something to do with the fact that he's left-handed and I’m right-handed, because he's somehow able to look at my ideas and flip them around in a way that's just a little bit more twisted and interesting. It's great to be able to work with him like that." In addition, they also contrast in the way they speak; Jonathan has an American accent while Christopher has a British accent.
- The Prestige (2006) – co-screenplay
- The Dark Knight (2008) – co-screenplay
- The Dark Knight Rises (2012) – co-screenplay
- Interstellar (2014) – co-writer
- Person of Interest (2011–present) – creator and executive producer
- "Pilot" (airdate: 22 Sep 2011) – writer
- "Ghosts" (airdate: 29 Sep 2011) – co-writer
- "Many Happy Returns" (airdate: 3 May 2012) – co-storywriter
- "Firewall" (airdate: 17 May 2012) – co-writer
- "The Contingency" (airdate: 27 Sep 2012) – co-writer
- "Relevance" (airdate: 21 Feb 2013) – co-writer and director
- "God Mode" (airdate: 9 May 2013) – co-writer
- "The Devil's Share" (airdate: 26 Nov 2013) - co-writer
- McGrath, Amanda (17 May 2002). "Class of 2002 Gathers For Senior Convocation". The Hoya. Retrieved 6 January 2012.
- White, James (10 September 2010). "Jonah Nolan Pitching TV Crime Thriller". Empire Magazine. Retrieved 20 July 2012.
- Taylor, Judd. "The Memento Screenplay Category Controversy: Memento is an Adapted Screenplay". Retrieved 2012-10-17.
- Roberts, Sheila. "Jonathan Nolan Interview, The Prestige". Movies Online. Retrieved 17 January 2013.
- "Christopher Nolan: The Movies. The Memories.". Empire Magazine. Retrieved 2012-07-20.
- O'Hara, Helen (29 September 2010). "Christopher Nolan Confirms Batman 3". Empire Magazine. Retrieved 20 July 2012.
- Reynolds, Simon; Edwards, Freddie (16 July 2012). "Exclusive: Jonathan Nolan on 'The Dark Knight Rises': 'I'm done with Batman'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 20 July 2012.
- Kit, Borys; Masters, Kim (9 January 2013). "Christopher Nolan in Talks to Direct 'Interstellar' for Paramount and Warner Bros. (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 8 February 2013.
- Sperling, Nicole (8 March 2013). "Christopher Nolan's time-travel film 'Interstellar' to bow in 2014". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 8 March 2013.
- Finke, Nikki (8 March 2013). "Christopher Nolan's 'Interstellar' To Be Paramount-Warner Bros Co-Production And Joint Distribution". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 8 March 2013.
- Hayden, Erik (8 March 2013). "It's Official: Christopher Nolan's 'Interstellar' to be Warner Bros., Paramount Co-Production". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 13 March 2013.
- "Interstellar poster billing block". Retrieved July 21, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jonathan Nolan.|