Urreta with Deportivo in 2010
|Full name||Jonathan Matías Urretaviscaya da Luz|
|Date of birth||19 March 1990|
|Place of birth||Montevideo, Uruguay|
|Height||1.74 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|Paços de Ferreira|
|River Plate (Uruguay)|
|2007–2008||River Plate (Uruguay)||14||(8)|
|2010||→ Peñarol (loan)||17||(4)|
|2010–2011||→ Deportivo La Coruña (loan)||6||(0)|
|2011||→ Peñarol (loan)||8||(3)|
|2011–2012||→ Vitória Guimarães (loan)||13||(2)|
|2014–||Paços de Ferreira||13||(3)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 10 January 2015.
† Appearances (Goals).
Born in Montevideo to a father of Basque descent, Urretaviscaya started off his career with hometown's Club Atlético River Plate, where he scored eight goals in 14 games. His first division debut came one month shy of his 18th birthday as he scored in a 2–0 win against Liverpool Montevideo, in the Clausura's first game.
On 2 July 2008 Urretaviscaya signed a contract with Portuguese giants Sport Lisboa e Benfica, for a fee of €1.26 million, being rarely used in his debut season. In January 2010, after having made almost no official appearances during 2009–10 – his only league game was against F.C. Porto as the Reds had many players missings due to injuries and suspensions, and he put up a good performance in a 1–0 home win for the eventual champions– he was loaned to C.A. Peñarol for five months, thus returning to his country.
For 2011–12 Urretaviscaya returned to Portugal, being loaned to Vitória de Guimarães in a season-long move, while also renewing his contract till 2015. He went on to miss most of the campaign due to injury.
He spent the next two seasons at Benfica, appearing only for the B-team in the latter. On 1 September 2014, Urreta terminated his contract with Benfica and penned a one-year deal with Paços de Ferreira.
- As of 10 March 2013
- Primeira Liga: 2009–10
- Taça da Liga: 2009–10
- UEFA Europa League: Runner-up 2012–13
- Taça de Portugal: Runner-up 2012–13
- Perfiles del Sudamericano Sub-20: Jonathan Urretaviscaya (Uruguay), figura de la 6ª jornada (South American U-20 profiles: Jonathan Urretaviscaya (Uruguay), matchday 6 star); Goal.com, 25 January 2009 (Spanish)
- «Foi importante jogar contra o FC Porto» – Urreta («It was important to play against FC Porto» – Urreta); A Bola, 1 January 2010 (Portuguese)
- "Lotina cita a jugadores del filial Rochela, Raúl y Seoane para pretemporada" [Lotina calls B-side players Rochela, Raúl and Seoane for pre-season] (in Spanish). ABC. 24 June 2010.
- "El caso Urretaviscaya llegó a la Fifa; esperan dictamen positivo". ultimasnoticias.com.uy. 10 February 2011. Retrieved 1 September 2014.
- "Urreta moves to Guimarães for a season". Planet Benfica. 31 August 2011. Retrieved 9 July 2012.
- "Urreta renova mas é emprestado". onossofuteb0l.blogspot.pt. 31 August 2011. Retrieved 1 September 2014.
- "Urreta pára um mês e falha Sporting". Record. 22 September 2011. Retrieved 1 September 2014.
- "Reforço? Urreta!!!". vitoriasempre.net. 27 December 2011. Retrieved 1 September 2014.
- "Urreta: perdido na equipa B aos 23 anos". Zerozero. 22 January 2014. Retrieved 1 September 2014.
- "Fecho do mercado – Lista documentação apresentada até às 21h00:". Liga Portuguesa Futebol Profissional. 1 September 2014.
- Jonathan Urretaviscaya at ESPN FC
- Stats and profile at Zerozero
- Stats at ForaDeJogo
- National team data (Spanish)
- Jonathan Urretaviscaya profile at Soccerway