Early life and education
Whilst still at school, Vaughn was organ scholar of Croydon Parish Church; during this time, aged sixteen, he became a prizewinning Fellow of the Royal College of Organists. His gap year was spent as the organ scholar of St George's Chapel, Windsor, before he started as an organ scholar at St John's College, Cambridge, where he read for a degree in music. He stayed on at St John's, for another year, as Assistant Organist. He studied the organ with Dame Gillian Weir whilst at Cambridge.
In September 2004, Vaughn was appointed Assistant Director of Music of St Edmundsbury Cathedral, after Michael Bawtree left to study choral conducting at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama. He also was the Cathedral's Arts Co-ordinator and Musical Director of the Phoenix Singers, Framlingham. After three years, he was appointed Assistant Organist of Wells Cathedral.
For the past seven years, Vaughn has been Assistant Organist of Wells Cathedral. He has recorded five CDs with the cathedral choir and one with The Exon Singers - all under the direction of Matthew Owens.
- 2013 - Wagner at the Organ, for Regent Records
- 2012 - Bingham: Choral Music, with Matthew Owens and Wells Cathedral Choir, for Hyperion Records
- 2012 - Jingle Wells, with Matthew Owens, Owain Park (organ) and Wells Cathedral Choir, for Regent Records
- 2011 - Macmillan: Choral Music, with Matthew Owens and Wells Cathedral Choir, for Hyperion Records
- 2010 - Choral Music by Jonathan Dove, with Matthew Owens and Wells Cathedral Choir, for Hyperion Records
- 2010 - Awake up my glory – choral and organ music by Philip Moore, with Matthew Owens, Susan Hamilton (soprano) and The Exon Singers, for Regent Records
- 2009 - Mathias: Choral Music, with Matthew Owens and Wells Cathedral Choir, for Hyperion Records
- 2004 - WOOD, C.: St. Mark Passion, with Daniel Hyde and the Choir of St John's College, Cambridge, for Naxos Records
- 2004 - ELGAR: Sacred Choral Music, with Christopher Robinson and the Choir of St John's College, Cambridge, for Naxos Records
- 2003 - BERKELEY: Sacred Choral Music, with Christopher Robinson and the Choir of St John's College, Cambridge, for Naxos Records
- 1997 - Day By Day - Choral & Organ Music of Martin How, with Peter Nardone, Martin How (organ) and Croydon Parish Church Choir, for Regent Records
- "Lunchtime organ concert by Jonathan Vaughn". Hereford Cathedral. 13 July 2010.
- "The Organ Scholars". The Choir of St John’s College, Cambridge. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- "Jonathan Vaughn Organ Recital". Bromley Parish Church. 21 April 2014.
- "A musical career that's perfectly in tune". Herald Sun. 10 June 2009.
- "Jonathan Vaughn". Wells Cathedral. Retrieved 12 September.
|Assistant Director of Music
of St Edmundsbury Cathedral
of Wells Cathedral