|Meaning||Offspring of John/Jone|
|Region of origin||France / England|
|Language(s) of origin||Middle English|
Jones is a common surname in the UK, derived from the given name John which in turn is derived from the Hebrew name Yochanan (Johanan). It is especially common in Wales and south central England In Ireland the surname has been Gaelicized as MacSeoin.
Although it is a commonly held belief that the name originated in Wales, the name is actually thought to have been introduced during the Norman invasion of England around 1066. It first appears on record as a surname in England in 1273 with the name "Matilda Jones". Others put the first known record of the surname Jones as 1279, in Huntingdonshire, England.
20th and 21st centuries
Jones remains the most popular surname in Wales, borne by 5.75% of the population. The frequency in England is lower, at 0.75%, making it the second most common surname, after Smith. The 2000 United States census provides a frequency of 0.50%, providing an overall rank of 5th most frequent with 57.7% White, 37.7% Black, 1.4% Hispanic, 0.9% Native American.
- Percy Hide Reaney; Richard Middlewood Wilson (1991). A Dictionary of English Surnames. Taylor & Francis Group. pp. 1784–. ISBN 978-0-415-05737-0. Retrieved 19 December 2012.
- "Surname Database: Jones Last Name Origin". Retrieved 19 December 2012.
- Reaney, Percy Hilde (1995), Wilson, Richard Middlewood, ed., A Dictionary of English Surnames (3rd ed.), Oxford University Press, p. 256, ISBN 0-19-863146-4
- McElduff, Fiona; Pablo Mateos; Angie Wade; Mario Cortina Borja (2008). "What's in a name? The frequency and geographic distributions of UK surnames". Significance 5 (4): 189–192. doi:10.1111/j.1740-9713.2008.00332.x.
- Word, David L. et al. (2000). "Demographic Aspects of Surnames from Census 2000" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 12 July 2014.
- National Trust, 2007. "What do the statistics in the geographical location and social demographic tables mean?"
- United States Census Bureau (9 May 1995). s:1990 Census Name Files dist.all.last (1-100). Retrieved on 25 February 2008.
- Yahoo! Groups R1b-L371 Y-DNA Haplogroup and the Jones surname