Tenure with the Atlanta Braves
|Atlanta Braves – No. 39|
March 20, 1985 |
|Bats: Left||Throws: Left|
|April 17, 2010 for the Atlanta Braves|
(through 2013 season)
|Earned run average||2.23|
|Career highlights and awards|
On July 17, 2010, in a game against the Milwaukee Brewers, Venters was deemed to have intentionally thrown at Brewers first baseman Prince Fielder. He was ejected from the game along with Braves manager Bobby Cox and later suspended 4 games, a decision which Venters later appealed. Venters' suspension was subsequently overturned. He finished the season with a 1.95 ERA, in an NL 6th-best 79 games pitched.
Venters became a key part of Braves bullpen during the 2011 season serving primarily as the set up man for Craig Kimbrel. Along with Kimbrel and Eric O'Flaherty the three pitchers have become known as O'Ventbrel"Might be time to break up "O'Ventbrel"". CBSSports.com. June 14, 2012. Retrieved July 17, 2014. for their dominance over the last three innings of a ballgame. As on August 21, 2011 the trio had three of the six lowest ERAs in the NL with Venters having a major league leading 1.11 ERA and was third in strike outs with 79.
Venters was placed on the disabled list on July 5, 2012 due to a sore left elbow. He returned to relief on July 22, 2012 where he pitched two scoreless innings versus the Washington Nationals. Venters finished the 2012 season with a 5-4 record and a 3.32 ERA.
Venters opened the 2013 season on the disabled list with left elbow discomfort. Trying to avoid Tommy John surgery, he was injected with platelet-rich plasma, and was expected to return until at least late May but it was unsuccessful. On May 16, 2013, Venters underwent Tommy John surgery and was eliminated for the 2013 season. Venters was placed on the 60-day disabled list on July 4, 2013 to free up a spot on the Braves' 40-man roster as Joey Terdoslavich was promoted from AAA Gwinnett to replace Jordan Schafer on the active roster. After the season, Venters signed a one-year deal with the Braves for the 2014 season, avoiding arbitration.
Venters primarily utilizes his sinker, which he throws with exceptional velocity (93–96 mph). He used that sinker to achieve a near-70% ground ball rate in 2010, leading all qualified MLB pitchers. His superb knuckle curveball is thrown at 85–88 mph. In 2011, it resulted in an extraordinary whiff rate of 71% (the highest for any pitch by any relief pitcher) and was put in play less than 6% of the time. He also has a four-seam fastball in the mid 90s, and a changeup in the upper 80s that he began throwing somewhat frequently in 2012 against right-handed hitters.
- By Mark Bowman / MLB.com (April 17, 2010). "Venters back in Braves' bullpen". Atlanta.braves.mlb.com. Retrieved September 3, 2010.
- "Colorado Rockies vs. Atlanta Braves". Scores.espn.go.com. April 17, 2010. Retrieved September 3, 2010.
- "Braves' Jonny Venters suspended four games for throwing at Prince Fielder". Content.usatoday.com. July 19, 2010. Retrieved September 3, 2010.
- David O'Brien (July 30, 2010). "Venters' suspension rescinded entirely". Blogs.ajc.com. Retrieved September 3, 2010.
- Jonny Venters Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com
- Eddy, Matt (October 19, 2010). "Future Big League Stars Highlight All-Rookie Team". Baseball America. Retrieved October 21, 2010.
- Sanchez falls short in NL Rookie of Year bid | MLB.com: News
- Braves’ hitting turnaround is more than just Uggla | Atlanta Braves
- Boland, Erik (21 June 2012). "A-Rod's grand slam ignites Yankees' comeback". Newsday. Retrieved 10 July 2012.
- "Braves put Jonny Venters on DL". ESPN. Retrieved 10 July 2012.
- Rogers, Carroll (22 July 2012). "Venters sharp in return from disabled list". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- Bowman, Mark (April 2, 2013). "Braves hopeful Venters returns by end of May". Braves.com.
- Bowman, Mark (November 13, 2013). "Braves reach big league deal with Venters". MLB.com. Retrieved July 27, 2014.
- "Brooks Baseball · Home of the PitchFX Tool - Player Card: Jonny Venters". Brooks Baseball. Retrieved 26 May 2012.
- Carruth, Matthew (May 6, 2011). "Jonny Venters Is Grounded". Fangraphs. Retrieved 26 May 2012.
- Seiner, Jake (April 24, 2013). "Q&A: Braves' Wood 'curving' up Southern League". MiLB.com. Retrieved December 18, 2013.
- "PitchFX Leaderboards". Baseball Prospectus. Retrieved 20 September 2012.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)