Schafer during his tenure with the Atlanta Braves in 2014
|Minnesota Twins – No. 1|
September 4, 1986 |
|Bats: Left||Throws: Left|
|April 5, 2009 for the Atlanta Braves|
(through July 14, 2014)
|Runs batted in||67|
Schafer was drafted by the Atlanta Braves in the third round of the 2005 Major League Baseball Draft out of Winter Haven High School. In April of 2008 he was suspended 50 games by Major League Baseball after being accused of HGH use. He was the first player to be suspended by Major League Baseball's Department of Investigations.
Schafer was named the Braves' starting center fielder for the 2009 season on April 5, 2009, despite never having played at a higher level than Double-A. He made his major league debut on April 5, 2009, becoming the 99th player in Major League Baseball history to hit his first career home run in his first major league at bat, off Brett Myers of the Philadelphia Phillies. He finished the game 2 for 3, with the home run, a single, an intentional walk, and a strikeout.
Second stint with Braves
On November 1, 2012, the Atlanta Braves reacquired Jordan Schafer from the Houston Astros on waivers. Schafer was placed on the disabled list on July 4, 2013 with a stress fracture in his ankle. He was designated for assignment by the Braves on August 1, 2014.
- Dorado, Juan; Lezotte, Dave (August 3, 2013). "Jordan Schafer Joins Gwinnett on Rehab Assignment". MILB.com. Retrieved August 8, 2014.
- Crasnick, Jerry (April 9, 2008). "Braves prospect Schafer suspended 50 games for HGH use". ESPN.com. Retrieved August 8, 2014.
- "Braves' Schafer denies using HGH". ESPN.com. January 25, 2009. Retrieved August 8, 2014.
- Braves Make Final Cuts[dead link]
- Bowman, Mark (April 6, 2009). "Schafer homers in first career at-bat". MLB.com. Retrieved August 8, 2014.
- "Braves 4, Phillies 1 - Boxscore". MLB.com. April 5, 2009.
- Braves send struggling Schafer to Minors
- "Jordan Schafer could return Sunday". ESPN.com. Associated Press. June 4, 2011. Retrieved August 8, 2014.
- Bowman, Mark (July 31, 2011). "Braves fill leadoff void, acquire Astros' Bourn". MLB.com. Retrieved March 14, 2014.
- "Ejection 014: Marvin Hudson (1)". Close Call Sports. Retrieved April 30, 2012.
- O'Brien, David (November 1, 2012). "Schafer is back, but not to replace Bourn". Atlanta Journal Constitution.
- Rogers, Carroll (July 12, 2013). "MRI reveals stress fracture for Schafer". Atlanta Journal Constitution. Retrieved August 2, 2014.
- Bowman, Mark (August 1, 2014). "Schafer designated for assignment after Deadline". MLB.com. Retrieved August 2, 2014.
- "Twins claim OF Schafer off waivers from Braves". ESPN.com. Associated Press. August 3, 2014. Retrieved August 4, 2014.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Jordan Schafer on Twitter