Mercer with the Pittsburgh Pirates
Pittsburgh Pirates – No. 10
August 27, 1986 |
|May 29, 2012 for the Pittsburgh Pirates|
(through April 10, 2015)
|Runs batted in||88|
|Competitor for United States|
|Pan American Games|
|2007 Cidade do Rock||Team|
|World Port Tournament|
Jordy Joe Mercer (born August 27, 1986) is a professional baseball shortstop for the Pittsburgh Pirates of Major League Baseball (MLB). Prior to beginning his professional career, he played college baseball for Oklahoma State University. He has also competed for the United States national baseball team in international competition. Mercer bats and throws right-handed.
Mercer attended Taloga High School in Taloga, Oklahoma. Mercer earned All-State honors in high school and played three seasons starting at shortstop for the Elk City Travelers of Oklahoma amateur baseball organization. Out of high school, the Los Angeles Dodgers drafted Mercer in the 26th round (796th overall) of the 2005 Major League Baseball Draft. Mercer did not sign, as he did not feel ready for professional baseball. Mercer attended Oklahoma State University–Stillwater, where he played baseball for the Oklahoma State Cowboys baseball team in the Big 12 Conference. At Oklahoma State, Mercer was a shortstop and pitcher, serving as the team's closer. He was named to the Big 12 All-Star Team as a utility player in 2006 and 2008. He set the Oklahoma State record for saves.
In the summer of 2007, following his sophomore year at Oklahoma State, Mercer joined the U.S. national baseball team. He competed in the 2007 Pan American Games, winning silver, and 2007 World Port Tournament, winning silver.
The Pirates drafted Mercer in the third round (79th overall) of the 2008 MLB Draft, choosing him as a shortstop. He began his professional career that season with the State College Spikes of the Class-A Short Season New York-Penn League, before he was promoted to the Hickory Crawdads of the Class-A South Atlantic League. In 2009, Mercer played for the Lynchburg Hillcats of the Class-A Advanced Carolina League, finishing fifth in the Carolina League and second in the Pirates' farm system with 83 runs batted in (RBI). He was promoted to the Altoona Curve of the Double-A Eastern League in 2010. He began the 2010 season with Altoona, before receiving a promotion to the Indianapolis Indians of the Triple-A of the International League. The Pirates added him to their 40-man roster after the 2011 season to protect him from the Rule 5 draft. On May 29, 2012, the Pirates optioned Yamaico Navarro to AAA Indianapolis and promoted Mercer to the Pittsburgh Pirates Major League club. Mercer got his first major league hit off Cincinnati Reds pitcher Johnny Cueto on May 30, 2012. Mercer got only 9 at-bats with the Pirates before being sent back to Indianapolis on June 24, 2012.
On May 3, 2013 Mercer was called up from AAA Indianapolis and led the Pirates to a 3-1 victory over the Washington Nationals with a two-run home run. On May 11, 2013 he had his first multiple home run game with two home runs against the New York Mets. Mercer was sent back to Indianaplis when Neil Walker was activated from the disabled list on May 13. Mercer was recalled on May 15 when John McDonald was placed on the disabled list.
Mercer was named the new Pirates starting short stop for the 2014 season.Mercer will compete with Kang Jung-ho for the starting short stop job in 2015.
- "OSU's Mercer taken in third round". Tulsa World. June 6, 2008. Retrieved February 4, 2012.
- "The Q&A: Jordy Mercer". The Oklahoman. May 17, 2008. Retrieved February 4, 2012.
- "Cowboys' Mercer playing on USA National Team". The Oklahoman. June 26, 2007. Retrieved February 4, 2012.
- Biertempfel, Rob; Price, Karen (September 16, 2011). "Mercer named to the 2011 World Cup/Pan Am team". Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Retrieved February 17, 2012.
- "Lynchburg Hillcats Game Notes - OurSports Central - Independent and Minor League Sports News". OurSports Central. September 9, 2009. Retrieved February 4, 2012.
- "Six minor leaguers join Pirates 40-man roster". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. November 19, 2011. Retrieved February 4, 2012.
- Singer, Tom (May 30, 2012). "Bucs promote hot-hitting Mercer from Indy". Retrieved August 12, 2012.
- Singer, Tom (June 24, 2012). "Sutton's return highlights flurry of roster moves". Retrieved August 12, 2012.
- "AAA call-up Jordy Mercer leads Pirates past Nationals". Reuters. Retrieved May 11, 2013.
- "Pirates 11, Mets 2". mlb.com. Retrieved May 11, 2013.
- Sanserino, Michael (May 13, 2013). "Pirates activate Walker, option Mercer to Indianapolis". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved May 13, 2013.
- Brink, Bill (May 15, 2013). "Pirates put John McDonald on DL, recall Mercer from Indianapolis". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved May 15, 2013.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)