Jorge Cervantes, is the nom de plume of George Van Patten, an American horticulturist, medical cannabis grower and patient, publisher, and world-renown author/writer specializing in indoor, outdoor, and greenhouse cultivation of Medical Cannabis.
His books, articles, photographs and instructional DVDs are educational horticultural manuals demonstrating techniques for high-yield closet, basement, backyard, and guerrilla gardens. Today, Cannabis Universities in the USA use his book, Marijuana Horticulture, as the main textbook and his videos as instructional aids. Cervantes wrote a Q & A column (Jorge's Rx) for 10 years and continues to write feature articles in High Times magazine. Cervantes' goal has been to educate the world about the plant he loves and respects through his articles, books, and videos.
In 2010, Jorge Cervantes was presented with the Dr. Lester Grinspoon Lifetime Achievement Award for his contributions to the cannabis industry
George Van Patten was born in 1953 and raised in Ontario, Oregon. He delivered the local newspaper as a young boy. Later he worked in the press room and soon became the photographer for the local newspaper, The Argus Observer, from 1969 - 1973. Van Patten learned about printing, photography, news and publicity at the newspaper.
Van Patten saved money from his job at the newspaper to pay for his university studies abroad and in the U.S., first at the University of Valencia in Valencia, Spain, and later at the University of the Américas in Puebla, Mexico. As a university student in Mexico, he developed his lifelong passion for the cannabis plant. Van Patten moved to Portland, Oregon, in 1976 to be close to his parents after his father fell ill. He graduated from Portland State Univeristy in 1977.
After graduation, Van Patten moved to Santa Barbara, California where he and a Chilean partner started a landscape garden business. He started growing "sinsemilla" (Spanish for without seeds) marijuana illegally in Los Padres National Forest near Santa Barbara. Sinsemilla was the "new" high-quality cannabis that Mexicans reserved for domestic consumption. In 1979 Van Patten and his partner sold the landscape garden business and embarked on a year-long traveling excursion with their girlfriends through the heart of Mexico, Central America, and South America.
In 1981, Van Patten married Estella Cervantes in Portland, Oregon. They had no children. He established a landscape garden business in Portland and cultivated cannabis indoors. A lack of credible information about indoor cannabis cultivation led him to author Indoor Marijuana Horticulture in 1983. The book became a best-seller, and successful indoor growers dubbed it the "Indoor Grower's Bible" which became the book's subtitle. Van Patten developed his own High Intensity Discharge marijuana grow lighting systems and sold them via retail and mail order through his Jorge Cervantes' Indoor Garden Store.
The DEA's Operation Green Merchant (1989) closed down his store and more than 40 others in the U.S.A. After the nationwide investigation, Van Patten reworked Indoor Marijuana Horticulture and republished it as Gardening Indoors with Soil & Hydroponics in 1995 to skirt legal issues.
Van Patten founded both Interport USA in 1983 and then Van Patten Publishing in 1998, http://www.vanpattenpublishing.com, to publish his books. Van Patten printed the first edition of Indoor Marijuana Horticulture (1983) himself. At night, he rented the lithograph press from the local print shop to print the 96-page book. By the fifth edition in 2006  the book had been translated into Dutch, French, German, Italian, Spanish, and Russian editions, and the book took on the subtitle as Marijuana Horticulture: The Indoor/Outdoor Medical Grower's Bible. Today, Cannabis Universities in the USA use it as their main textbook. Van Patten's passion for the cannabis plant is reflected in his writing, videos and public appearances.
Cervantes recently completed his opus, The Cannabis Encyclopedia: The Definitive Guide to Cultivation & Consumption of Medical Marijuana Contributors include Fred Gardener, Dr. John McPartland, Mel Frank, Samantha Miller (Pure Analytics), Toni13, and Marc (Carbon Active).
Van Patten Publishing -- Books by Jorge Cervantes
- The Cannabis Encyclopedia: The Definitive Guide to Cultivation & Consumption of Medical Marijuana, ISBN 9781878823342
- Marijuana Horticulture: The Indoor/Outdoor Medical Grower's Bible, ISBN 9781878823236
- Marijuana Grow Basics: the Easy Guide for Cannabis Aficionados, ISBN 9781878823373
- Marijuana Indoors: Five Easy Gardens, ISBN 9781878823274
- Marijuana Indoors:Guerrilla Growing, ISBN 9781878823281
- Marijuana: Jorge's RX, ISBN 9781878823304
Van Patten Publishing - Foreign Language Books by Jorge Cervantes
- Marihuana: horticultura del cannabis la biblia del cultivador MEDICO, ISBN 9781878823243
- Marijuana fundamentos de cultivo: guia facil para los aficionados al cannabis, ISBN 9781878823380
- Marijuana Horticulture (Russian Version), ISBN 9781878823359
- Marihuana: Orticoltura INDOOR/ OUTDOOR della cannabis La Bibbia, ISBN 9781878823335
Books by George Van Patten
- Gardening Indoors with Soil & Hydroponics, 5th Edition, ISBN 9781878823328
- Hydroponic Basics, ISBN 9781878823250
- Gardening Indoors With Rockwool, ISBN 9781878823229
- Gardening Indoors with CO2, ISBN 9781878823199
- Gardening Indoors with Cuttings 9781878823205
- Gardening Indoors with HID Lights, ISBN 9781878823212
Van Patten is Bilingual and speaks at several international cannabis fairs in Europe and the USA every year, and contributes feature cultivation articles to more than 20 different cannabis magazines published in 10 languages including High Times, Soft Secrets, Cañamo, and other European and Latin American cannabis magazines.
Other Foreign Published Books by Jorge Cervantes
- Culture en intérieur, Master Edition, ISBN 978-2-84594-114-4 -- Mama Editions
- Culture en intérieur, Basic Edition: ISBN 978-2-84594-113-7 -- Mama Editions
- Culture en intérieur, Mini Edition: ISBN 978-2-84594-115-1 -- Mama Editions
- Marihuana Drinnen: Alles uber den Anbau im Haus, March 2003, ISBN 3907080920, ISBN 978-3907080924—Nachtschatten Verlag
- Maihuana Anbaugrundlagen: Der praktische Leitfaden fÜr Cannabisfreunde, ISBN 3037881976
DVD-Jorge Cervantes' Cannabis Expeditions: The Green Giants of California 609788803959
Blu-ray: Jorge Cervantes' Cannabis Expeditions: The Green Giants of California: UPC 609788803966
Jorge Cervantes Ultimate Grow DVD
Jorge Cervantes Ultimate Grow DVD, Volume 2
Jorge Cervantes' Ultimate Grow, Complete Box Set