Jorge Ferrer is chair of the department of East-West Psychology at the California Institute of Integral Studies. He is also the author of Revisioning Transpersonal Theory: A Participatory Vision of Human Spirituality, and co-editor of The Participatory Turn: Spirituality, Mysticism, Religious Studies.
Ferrer received a Licenza Psicologia Clinica in 1991 from the University of Barcelona. In 1999, he received a doctorate in East-West psychology from the California Institute of Integral Studies. In 2000 he received the Fetzer Institute’s Presidential Award for his work on consciousness studies.
With Jacob Sherman, Ferrer co-edited an anthology of original writings on participatory spirituality entitled The Participatory Turn: Spirituality, Mysticism, Religious Studies. According to a review in Tikkun magazine,
The question of whether or not we can preserve the ontological integrity of religion, spirituality, and mysticism without sacrificing the integrity of modern critical scholarship lies at the heart of The Participatory Turn...Their basic project is the integration of religious experience and practice with modern critical thinking and postmodern epistemological insights about the constructed nature of human knowledge.
Ferrer is also the editor of a monograph of the journal ReVision on "New Horizons in Contemporary Spirituality" (Fall 2001). He is on the editorial board of The Journal of Transpersonal Psychology, ReVision: A Journal of Consciousness and Transformation, and Archai: The Journal of Archetypal Cosmology.
Ferrer was featured in the 2006 film Entheogen: Awakening the Divine Within, a documentary about rediscovering an enchanted cosmos in the modern world. In 2009, he became an adviser to the organization Religions for Peace at the United Nations on a research project aimed at solving global interreligious conflict.
- Revisioning transpersonal theory: A participatory vision of human spirituality. Albany: State University of New York Press. 2002
- with J. H. Sherman (eds.) The participatory turn: Spirituality, mysticism, religious studies Albany, NY: SUNY Press. 2008
- "Beyond absolutism and relativism in transpersonal evolutionary theory." World Futures: The Journal of General Evolution, 52, 239-280. 1998
- "Speak now or forever hold your peace. An essay review of Ken Wilber's The marriage of sense and soul: Integrating science and religion." The Journal of Transpersonal Psychology, 30(1), 53-67. 1998
- "Teoria transpersonal y filosofia perenne: Una evaluacion critica." [Transpersonal theory and the perennial philosophy: A critical appraisal]. In M. Almendro (Ed.), La consciencia transpersonal (pp. 72-92). Barcelona, Spain: Kairos. 1999
- "Una revision de la teoria transpersonal" [Revisioning transpersonal theory]. Boletin de la Sociedad Espanola de Psicologia y Psicoterapia Transpersonal, 3, 24-30. 1999
- "The perennial philosophy revisited." The Journal of Transpersonal Psychology, 32(1), 7-30. 2000
- "Transpersonal knowledge: A participatory approach to transpersonal phenomena." In T. Hart, P. Nelson, & K. Puhakka (Eds.), Transpersonal knowing: Exploring the farther reaches of consciousness (pp. 213-252). Albany, NY: SUNY Press. 2000
- "Toward a participatory vision of human spirituality." ReVision: A Journal of Consciousness and Transformation, 24(2), 15-26. 2001
- "Integral transformative practices: A participatory perspective." The Journal of Transpersonal Psychology, 35(1), 21-42. 2003
- with Albareda, R. V., & Romero, M. T. "Embodied participation in the mystery: Implications for the individual, interpersonal relationships, and society." ReVision: A Journal of Consciousness and Transformation, 27(1), 10-17. 2004
- with Romero, M. T., & Albareda, R. V. "Integral transformative education: A participatory proposal." The Journal of Transformative Education, 3(4), 306-330. 2005
- with Romero, M. T., & Albareda, R. V. "The four seasons of integral education: A participatory proposal." ReVision: A Journal of Consciousness and Transformation, 29(2), 11-23. 2006
- "Embodied spirituality, now and then." Tikkun: Culture, Spirituality, Politics (May/June), 41-45, 53-64. 2006
- with Romero, M. T., & Albareda, R. V. "The integral creative cycle: A participatory model of integral education." Kosmos: An Integral Approach to Global Awakening (Fall/Winter), 8-13. 2007
- "What does it really mean to live a fully embodied spiritual life?" International Journal of Transpersonal Studies, 27, 1-11. 2008
- with Romero, M. T., & Albareda, R. V. "Integral transformative education: A participatory proposal." Studies in Holistic Education, 13, 116-138. 2010
- with Romero, M. T., & Albareda, R. V. "Integral transformative education: A participatory proposal." In S. Esbjorn-Hargens, J. Reams, & O. Gunnlaugson (Eds.), Integral education: New directions for higher learning Albany, NY: SUNY Press. 2010
- "The plurality of religions and the spirit of pluralism: A participatory vision of the future of religion." International Journal of Transpersonal Studies, 28, 139-51. 2010
- "Teaching the graduate seminar in comparative mysticism: A participatory integral approach." In W. B. Parsons (Ed.), Teaching mysticism New York, NY: Oxford University Press, 2011
- "Participation, metaphysics, and enlightenment: Reflections on Ken Wilber's recent work." Transpersonal Psychology Review, 14(2), 3-24. 2011
- "Participatory Spirituality and Transpersonal Theory: A Ten-Year Retrospective." The Journal of Transpersonal Psychology, 43(1). 2011
- SUNY Press 2002
- SUNY Press, 2008
- "Spiritual Democracy -- Beyond Consciousness and Culture" April 22, 2009 review by Ann Gleig and Nicholas G. Boeving 
- Mann, Rod (Director) (2006). Entheogen: Awakening the Divine Within (DVD video). Critical Mass Productions. OCLC 181630835. Retrieved 19 November 2012.
- Participatory Spirituality: An Introduction
- SUNY Press site on The Participatory Turn: Spirituality, Mysticism, Religious Studies
- "Integral Transformative Practice: A Participatory Perspective" (Journal of Transpersonal Psychology)
- "Embodied Participation in the Mystery: Implications for the Individual, Interpersonal Relationships, and Society" (ReVision)
- Integral Transformative Practice: A Participatory Perspective" an essay by Ferrer at Integral World