Jorge Ramos (news anchor)
|Born||Jorge Ramos Ávalos
March 16, 1958 
Mexico City, Mexico
Jorge Ramos Ávalos (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈxorxe ˈramos]; born March 16, 1958) is a Mexican-American journalist and author based in Miami, Florida. He anchors the Univision news television program, Noticiero Univision; hosts the Univision Sunday-morning, political news program, Al Punto; and hosts the Fusion TV English-language program, America with Jorge Ramos.
Early life and career
In 1983, he left Mexico on a student visa to Los Angeles, California, where he planned to enroll in UCLA extension journalism classes. In 1984, he joined KMEX-TV, an affiliate of Univision in Los Angeles. Two years later, he became the host for KMEX's morning program, Mundo Latino.
Ramos joined Univision, Telemundo, Fox Sports, ESPN Deportes, and many others in 1985. He has interviewed multiple world leaders including Fidel Castro, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, Bill Gates, Evo Morales, Hugo Chávez, Terry Porter, Rafael Correa, Fernando Ferrer, Barack Obama, and many others.
Since 1986, Jorge Ramos has been the anchorman for Noticiero Univision, alongside colleague María Elena Salinas. Currently, he also hosts Al Punto, a public affairs program aired weekly on Univision. His contributions to journalism include the coverage of five wars as well as the disintegration of the former Soviet Union, the fall of the Berlin Wall, and the 9/11 terrorist attacks, among other significant world events.
In 2002, he founded Despierta Leyendo (Wake Up Reading).
Ramos has since earned a master's degree in international studies at the University of Miami in Miami, Florida.
In 2008, Ramos became a United States citizen at the age of 50.
He currently lives in Coconut Grove, Florida, outside of Miami.
- The Latino Wave: How Hispanics Are Transforming Politics in America (La Ola Latina: Cómo los hispanos elegirán al próximo presidente de los Estados Unidos)
- No Borders: A Journalist's Search for Home (Atravesando Fronteras)
- Dying to Cross: The Worst Immigrant Tragedy in American History
- The Other Face of America: Chronicles of the Immigrants Shaping Our Future (La otra cara de América)
- Lo que vi
- A la caza del león
- Morir en el intento
- Detrás de la máscara
- El regalo del tiempo: Cartas a mis hijos
- A Country For all: An Immigrant Manifesto
- My Life
- Los Presidenciables
- "Jorge Ramos becomes U.S. citizen in 2008". latimes.com. Retrieved May 28, 2014.
- Official website
- Interview with the Harvard Journal of Hispanic Policy
- C-SPAN Q&A interview with Ramos, July 11, 2010
- "A View from Latin America" Interview by Hirsh Sawhney, The Brooklyn Rail (Summer 2004)