Mathijsen with the Netherlands in the UEFA Euro 2012
|Full name||Joris Mathijsen|
|Date of birth||5 April 1980|
|Place of birth||Goirle, Netherlands|
|Height||1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 8 May 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Mathijsen started his football career at SV VOAB in Goirle after he visited a training session of a friend as a young boy. At the age of nine he left this club and came through the youth system of Willem II Tilburg. He was promoted to the first team for the 1998–99 season, making his debut on 27 February 1999 in a match against FC Utrecht. After six seasons at Willem II, he was sold by manager Co Adriaanse to AZ Alkmaar. However he endured a harder time breaking into the first team at Alkmaar and his case was not helped by injuries.
After finishing as runners-up in the Eredivisie in 2006, Mathijsen opted to transfer to German Bundesliga side Hamburg for €6 million where he teamed up with fellow Dutchmen Rafael van der Vaart and Nigel de Jong. He scored Hamburg's 2500th Bundesliga goal (his first for the club) on 20 October 2007 against Stuttgart.
In November 2008, Mathijsen signed a new contract extension, tying him to Hamburg until the summer of 2012.
In the summer of 2012, it became apparent that Malaga was willing to let Mathijsen transfer to another club, and several Dutch sides have shown interest, including Feyenoord and Ajax. On 10 August, Mathijsen signed a contract at Dutch side Feyenoord.
Since his international debut, Mathijsen has become a mainstay figure in the national team, especially after impressing at Hamburg. He is usually positioned as left central defender, because of his strong left-foot. He was called up to the Dutch squad for Euro 2008 in Austria and Switzerland. Initially in danger of losing his spot to Wilfred Bouma, he followed it up with a decent enough performance at the Euro 2008 and remained first choice.
Mathijsen was ever present for Oranje during the 2010 World Cup qualifying. He played more minutes than any other player in the Dutch squad and played a key role in their record of having conceded the fewest goals in their qualifying group.
2010 World Cup
Mathijsen was part of the Dutch team for the 2010 FIFA World Cup managed by Bert van Marwijk. The player was in the starting line-up for their first match in the competition, a 2–0 victory over Denmark.
|Spain||League||Copa del Rey||Europe||Other||Total|
- Statistics accurate as of last match played on 3 May 2014.
2 Includes Eredivisie playoffs matches.
|Dutch national team|
- Statistics accurate as of last match played on 11 September 2012.
|1.||2 September 2006||Stade Josy Barthel, Luxembourg, Luxembourg||Luxembourg||
||Euro 2008 qualifying|
|2.||7 February 2007||Amsterdam ArenA, Amsterdam, Netherlands||Russia||
|3.||11 October 2008||De Kuip, Rotterdam, Netherlands||Iceland||
||2010 World Cup qualification|
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2011)|
Mathijsen is married to Christel van Rijn and has two sons, Jens and Julian.
- "FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010 – List of Players" (PDF). Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA). Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- Stokkermans, Karel (10 May 2013). "Joris Mathijsen - International Appearances". The Rec.Sport.Soccer Statistics Foundation. Retrieved 18 April 2014.
- "Mathijsen: We have what it takes". FIFA.com. 19 February 2009. Retrieved 18 May 2010.
- "Mathijsen extends Hamburg association". UEFA.com. 13 November 2008. Retrieved 18 May 2010.
- "Mathijsen speelde alles" (in Dutch). De Telegraaf. 7 June 2009. Retrieved 18 May 2010.
- "Mathijsen bij Oranje 'zekerheidje'" (in Dutch). De Telegraaf. 4 June 2009. Retrieved 18 May 2010.
- "Holland coach Bert van Marwijk finalises World Cup squad". The Guardian. Press Association. 27 May 2010. Retrieved 27 May 2010.
- "Netherlands-Denmark". FIFA.com. 14 June 2010. Retrieved 16 June 2010.
- "Joris Mathijsen" (in Dutch). Voetbal International. Retrieved 24 June 2013.
- Voetbal International profile (Dutch)
- Málaga official profile
- Joris Mathijsen profile and stats at Wereld van Oranje (Dutch)
- Joris Mathijsen at fussballdaten.de (German)
- 2010 FIFA World Cup profile
- Joris Mathijsen at National-Football-Teams.com
- Joris Mathijsen – FIFA competition record