José Esteban Muñoz
José Esteban Muñoz (1967 – December 4, 2013) was an American academic in the fields of performance studies, visual culture, queer theory, cultural studies, and critical theory. His book Disidentifications: Queers of Color and the Performance of Politics (1999) examines queer and racial minority issues from a performance studies perspective. His second book, Cruising Utopia: the Then and There of Queer Futurity, was published by NYU Press in 2009. He also co-edited Pop Out: Queer Warhol (1996) with Jennifer Doyle and Jonathan Flatley, and Everynight Life: Culture and Dance in Latin/o America (1997) with Celeste Fraser Delgado. Muñoz was Professor in, and former Chair of, the Department of Performance Studies at New York University's Tisch School of the Arts.
Muñoz was born in Havana, Cuba in 1967, shortly before relocating with his parents to the Cuban exile enclave of Hialeah, Florida, the same year. He received his undergraduate education at Sarah Lawrence College and his doctorate from the Graduate Program in Literature at Duke University, where he studied under the tutelage of queer theorist Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick. He wrote about artists, performers, and cultural figures including Vaginal Davis, Nao Bustamante, Carmelita Tropicana, Isaac Julien, Jorge Ignacio Cortiñas, Kevin Aviance, James Schuyler, and Andy Warhol.
- "Highly regarded author and professor José Esteban Muñoz dies". 4 December 2013. Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- "Writer and Academic José Esteban Muñoz has Died"
- Donald Preziosi, ed. (2009). The art of art history: a critical anthology (2nd ed. ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press. p. 463. ISBN 978-0-19-922984-0. Retrieved 8 February 2011. "...visual culture, none of which are determined in advance, make it possible for us to focus, as José Esteban Muñoz ..."
- Driver, Susan (2006). Queer girls and popular culture: reading, resisting, and creating media. New York: Peter Lang. p. 11. ISBN 978-0-8204-7936-1.
- Roach, Joseph R. (2006). Janelle G. Reinelt, ed. Critical theory and performance (2. rev. ed. ed.). Ann Arbor: Univ. of Michigan. p. 403. ISBN 978-0-472-06886-9. Retrieved 8 February 2011.
- Muñoz: Tisch School of the Arts at NYU
- "Highly regarded author and professor José Esteban Muñoz dies". Retrieved 2013-12-04.