José Iglesias (baseball)
Iglesias with the Boston Red Sox in 2012
|Detroit Tigers – No. 1|
|Shortstop / Third baseman|
January 5, 1990 |
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|May 8, 2011 for the Boston Red Sox|
(through 2013 season)
|Runs batted in||31|
|Career highlights and awards|
Defection and minors
With pitcher Noel Argüelles, Iglesias defected from the Cuban junior national team while in Canada. Iglesias signed as an international free agent with the Boston Red Sox in September 2009. Prior to the 2011 season, Iglesias was the sole Red Sox prospect on the MLB.com annual list of top 50 baseball prospects, where he was ranked 42nd.
Boston Red Sox (2011–2013)
In March 2011, Iglesias was optioned to the Triple-A Pawtucket Red Sox. Iglesias was called up by the Red Sox and made his major league debut on May 8, 2011 as a defensive substitute for Jed Lowrie in the ninth inning of a 9–5 win over the Minnesota Twins. In the next game, he represented the game-winning run, scoring from first base on a Carl Crawford double in the 11th inning. On May 11, 2011, Iglesias made his first MLB start due to Jed Lowrie being sick.
Iglesias started the 2012 season in Pawtucket. He was called up to Boston May 1 after an ailing back sidelined Kevin Youkilis, but he did not appear in a game before being sent back down to Triple-A. Iglesias also appeared late in the 2012 season to back up Mike Aviles, and hit his first career home run during this stretch.
Entering 2013, Iglesias was ranked as the 10th best prospect in the Red Sox organization, and 96th on the MLB.com Top 100 Prospects list. He started the season in Boston, going 9-for-20 with two doubles and one RBI in six games, but was optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket after Stephen Drew was activated on April 10. He was recalled by the Red Sox on May 24 when third baseman Will Middlebrooks was placed on the DL. Iglesias excelled while splitting time between shortstop and third base, remaining in the starting lineup even after Middlebrooks returned from the DL. Despite being known primarily for his defense, Iglesias batted .420 for a stretch of over 100 at-bats after being recalled, including an 18-game hitting streak that was broken on June 19 against the Tampa Bay Rays. For his efforts, he was named the American League Rookie of the Month for June. Iglesias started the 2013 season playing 63 games with a .330 batting average, a home run, and 19 RBI while with Boston.
Detroit Tigers (2013–present)
On July 30, 2013, Iglesias was traded to the Detroit Tigers in a three-team deal that sent Jake Peavy and Brayan Villarreal to the Boston Red Sox and Avisail García to the Chicago White Sox. Iglesias chose jersey No. 1, making him the first Tigers player to wear it since Lou Whitaker retired in 1995. 
Iglesias drove in a run with a single in his very first game as a Tiger, on August 2, 2013, helping Detroit to a 2–1 win over the White Sox. The next night, he hit his first home run as a Tiger, a solo shot to left field in the fourth inning. Following the 50-game suspension given to Tigers starting shortstop Jhonny Peralta on August 5 for his connections to the South Florida Biogenesis clinic, Iglesias was named the Tigers new everyday shortstop.
For the rest of the 2013 season with the Tigers, Iglesias batted .259 with 2 home runs, and 10 RBI in 46 games. Overall in 2013, Iglesias hit .303 with 3 home runs and 29 RBI in 109 games combined with both the Red Sox and Tigers. On the field, he committed just 6 errors in 357 chances.
Regardless of his trade after the All-Star Break, Iglesias was part of the Tigers’ 25-man active roster for their postseason run. During the postseason, Iglesias batted .231 with an RBI. In Game 6 of the 2013 American League Championship Series, Iglesias was the final out of the series to strike out, resulting in the Tigers losing the series to the eventual World Series champ Boston Red Sox after 6 games.
- Passan, Jeff (December 5, 2009). "Cuban Arguelles agrees to deal with Royals". Yahoo! Sports. Retrieved July 31, 2013.
- Kilgore, Adam (September 8, 2009). "Sox announce Iglesias signing". The Boston Globe. Retrieved April 4, 2010.
- Iglesias represents Red Sox on prospect list MLB.com, January 25, 2011
- "Crawford's RBI lifts Red Sox to win over Twins". Associated Press. 2011-05-09. Retrieved 2011-05-09.
- Browne, Ian (2011-05-11) With Lowrie ill, Iglesias gets first big league start | redsox.com: News. Boston.redsox.mlb.com. Retrieved on 2012-08-26.
- Abraham, Peter (May 2, 2012). "With Kevin Youkilis out, Jose Iglesias called up". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 2 May 2012.
- Boston Red Sox prospects
- MLB.com – 2013 Top 100 Prospects list
- AP File Photo (July 31, 2013). "Detroit Tigers trade Avisail Garcia, Brayan Villarreal for Jose Iglesias as part of three-team deal". MLive.com. Retrieved July 31, 2013.
- Iglesias OK with spotlight of wearing No. 1 uniform MLB.com, August 3, 2013
- Iglesias contributes in debut as Tigers top White Sox cbssports.com wire reports on August 2, 2013.
- Scherzer wins 16th game as Tigers shut out White Sox cbssports.com wire reports on August 3, 2013.
- Twelve players get 50-game suspensions
- Iglesias finishes second for AL's top rookie honor MLB.com, November 11, 2013
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Jose Iglesias on Twitter