José González (wrestler)
|Resides||San Lorenzo, Puerto Rico|
|Professional wrestling career|
|Ring name(s)||Invader #1
El Jibarito de San Lorenzo
|Billed height||5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)|
|Billed weight||255 lb (116 kg)|
José Huertas González, better known as Invader #1, is a former professional wrestler who wrestled in the United States and around the world, especially in Puerto Rico, and the man who killed Frank Goodish, also known as Bruiser Brody who was very popular in Japan.
Since 1973, he has wrestled for both the World Wrestling Council and the International Wrestling Association. He held the Puerto Rico heavyweight title twelve times between 1977 and 2001, and the WWC Television Title five times between 1986 and 1991. He retired in 2006 to enter politics.
Gonzalez began wrestling as The Prophet in Chicago. In 1972 he joined the WWF. When he returned to Puerto Rico to fight with Capitol Sport Promotion, he took on the masked persona of "The Invader" so his mother would not know he was a wrestler. He fought on The Invaders tag team with Roberto Soto as Invader #2 and then Johnny Rivera as Invader #3. The Invaders worked as a mid-card tag team in the WWF in the early 1980s.
Death of Bruiser Brody
In July 1988, González stabbed professional wrestler Frank Donald Goodish, known as Bruiser Brody, to death during a wrestling event in Puerto Rico. Gonzalez was acquitted in 1989 after a jury accepted that he was acting in self-defense. Another wrestler, Tony Atlas, says he witnessed the stabbing in the locker room showers, but the knife used in the stabbing was not recovered and Atlas was not recalled to testify at the trial. The investigation was criticised in two books about Brody, Bruiser Brody (Crowbar Press) and Brody (ECW Press).
- WWC Universal Heavyweight Championship (2 times)
- WWC Caribbean Heavyweight Championship (5 times)
- WWC Puerto Rico Heavyweight Championship (12 times)
- WWC North American Heavyweight Championship (4 times)
- WWC Television Championship (5 times)
- WWC World Tag Team Championship (15 times) with José Rivera (3 times), Invader II (2 times), Pierre Martel (1 time), Invader III (3 times), Carlos Colón (1 time), El Bronco (3 times), Huracán Castillo, Jr. (1 time), Maelo Huertas (1 time)
- WWC Caribbean Tag Team Championship (3 times) with Super Gladiador (1 time), Invader IV (2 times)
- WWC North American Tag Team Championship (6 times) with Invader II (1 time), Carlos Colon (1 time), Super Gladiador (2 times), Invader III (2 times)
- NWA San Francisco
- NWA World Tag Team Championship (San Francisco version) (3 times) with Invader II (2) and Don Muraco (1)
On Monday, August 11, 2014, a fire occurred at Gonzalez's home, destroying a car and a motorcycle as well as part of his home.
- McGyver. "WWC: Entrevista a El Invader #1". PR Wrestling (in Spanish). Retrieved 23 January 2010.
- "Puerto Rico Heavyweight Title". Wrestling Titles. 2009. Retrieved 23 January 2010.
- "World Wrestling Council Television Title". Wrestling Titles. 2008. Retrieved 23 January 2010.
- "Old Glory". Riverfront Times. 19 September 2007. Retrieved 23 January 2010.
- Associated Press (21 July 1988). "Invader I faces charges". Retrieved 23 January 2010.
- "Famous Wrestling Deaths". Fox News. 26 June 2007. Retrieved 23 January 2010.
- Mooneyham, Mike (13 May 2007). "Unique, controversial Brody still making a large impact". The Post and Courier (Charleston). Retrieved 23 January 2010.
- Marvez, Alex (12 October 2007). "Life, death of a 'Bruiser'". Rocky Mountain News. Retrieved 23 January 2010.[dead link]