José Ignacio Cabrujas
|This article has been translated from the article José Ignacio Cabrujas in the Spanish Wikipedia, and requires proofreading.
If you are confident enough in your fluency of English and Spanish, please feel free to join this translation.
|José Ignacio Cabrujas|
|Born||José Ignacio Cabruja Lofiego
July 17, 1937
|Died||October 21, 1995
Porlamar, Margarita island, Venezuela
Cause of death
|Alma mater||Universidad Central de Venezuela|
|Occupation||Film director, producer, actor, screenwriter, soap opera's writer|
|Children||Juan Francisco Cabruja (1961)
Diego Cabruja (1987)
|Parents||José Ramón Cabruja Esteso
Matilde Lofiego de Cabruja
José Ignacio Cabruja Lofiego (n. Caracas , July 17, 1937 - f. Porlamar , Margarita Island , October 21, 1995 ) was a Venezuelan prominent playwright , theater director , chronicler , soap opera's writer , drama's librettist, screenplay's writer, radio moderator, humanist and political campaigns designer . It's considered as one of the founder and innovator of the modern telenovela genre in Latin America and he's called the "Maestro de las Telenovelas."
Born into a humble family, he spents his childhood in the Caracas neighborhood of Catia. His parents was José Ramón Cabruja Esteso and Matilde Lofiego of Cabruja. His original name is "Cabruja" so he was changed it when he lived a singular anecdote during his tenure in the Teatro Universitario (TU). The confusion arises from the renowned journalist Lorenzo Batallán, who published a note on the performance of Cabrujas in TU, adding the "S". Apparently the young actor was pleased and decided to continue using the 'S', so he came to be known as "José Ignacio Cabrujas."
He decided to be a writer on his youth, when he just finished reading Les Miserables by Victor Hugo . In fact, he couldn't stop crying and involved in exaltation he said: "This is what I want to do in life; these letters, these pages have produced in me all this emotion ...it's a miracle; I want to be part of that miracle"
In 1946, his sister Martha Cabruja  was born . Today she's dedicated to the plastic arts.
In 1956, thanks to a grant he began studying law at the Universidad Central de Venezuela. After two years of studying law his second brother, Francisco Cabrujas was born (Today, he's dedicated to film and soap opera's scoring ). But José Ignacio's raid in the university theater reveals his true vocation and then he left the University.
He married three times: Democracia Lopez (1960-1965), Eva Ivanyi  (who was his Costume maker and Producer) ,and the famous Venezuelan singer, musicologist and choral director Isabel Palacios (1985 - 1990). Also he had 2 sons: Juan Francisco Cabruja (1961) y Diego Cabruja (1987)
Man of immense culture and wit, he had a passion for opera, theater and literature.
Printed and electronic publications about his life and work
- 1979: «Tres dramaturgos venezolanos de hoy R. Chalbaud, J.I. Cabrujas, I. Chocrón»  from Gleider Hernández-Almeida, text published by the Nuevo Grupo.
- 1983: «Cabrujas en Tres Actos»  from Leonardo Azparren Jiménez, text published by the Nuevo Grupo.
- 1991: «El Teatro Según Cabrujas», 
- 1994: «Catia en Tres Voces»    from Milagro Socorro,where she interviews Cabrujas about his childhood in Catia.
- 1995: «Cabrujerías: un estudio sobre la dramática de José Ignacio Cabrujas»   from Francisco Rojas Pozo
- 1999: «La Caracas de Cabrujas»  from Ibsen Martínez.
- 1999: «Descubriendo a José Ignacio Cabrujas Un hombre... Un Artista... Una Conciencia...» Claudy De Sousa's Degree's Thesis .
- 2000: «Venezuela: La Obra Inconclusa de José Ignacio Cabrujas»   Yoyiana Ahumada's, MSc. Thesis
- 2006: «Premios Nacionales de Cultura: Teatro José Ignacio Cabrujas 1989»  from Gloria Soares, which she collects information and references notes divided into VII chapters to organize and summarize his work.
- 2006: «Cabrujas, ese ángel terrible: seis miradas de taller»   from Yoyiana Ahumada and La Fundación, with the collaboration of Manuel Felipe Sierra, Daniel Gutierrez, Eduardo Fermin Furiati Claudia Paez, Iraida Tapias and Arnaldo Gutierrez.
- 2009: «Historia y cotidianidad en la dramaturgia de José Ignacio Cabrujas»  From Magaly Guerrero 
- 2009: «El Mundo Según Cabrujas»   fromYoyiana Ahumada Licea. It's a essay which contains a compilation of his press published research articles.
- 2010: «Obra Dramática»  . From Leonardo Azparren Giménez y Gloria Soares De Ponte. Contains 16 Cabrujas plays, a biography, a chronology and texts from Nicolas Curiel , it's published on three volumes.
- 2012: «José Ignacio Cabrujas habla y escribe» (two volumes)  . From Leonardo Azparren Giménez. Anthology of interviews, conversations, essays and newspaper articles with a introduction study from Alberto Barrera Tyszka.
- La quema de Judas (1975)
- LA SEÑORA DE CARDENAS
- NATALIA DE 8 A 9
- LA DUEÑA
- LA DAMA DE ROSA