José Maria Eymael
|José Maria Eymael|
|José Maria Eymael, President of the PSDC|
|Federal Deputy for São Paulo|
September 2, 1939|
|Political party||Christian Social Democratic Party (Partido Social Democrata Cristão, PSDC)|
|This article has been translated from the article José Maria Eymael in the Portuguese Wikipedia, and requires proofreading.
If you are confident enough in your fluency of English and Portuguese, please feel free to join this translation.
José Maria Eymael (Porto Alegre, on November 2, 1939) is a Brazilian politician, lawyer, and businessman, and founder of the Partido Social Democrata Cristão (PSDC), known in English as the Christian Social Democratic Party.
Eymael joined the Christian Democratic Party (PDC) in 1962, in Porto Alegre, becoming a member the Young Christian Democrats. The PDC was extinguished by the Institutional Act number two on October 27, 1965, during Brazil's military dictatorship, and was refounded in 1985. Eymael was responsible for its reorganization in the state of São Paulo.
In 1985 was a candidate for mayor of São Paul, but lost the election. However, the PDC's campaign jingle, with the refrain "Ey Ey Eymael, helped make him popular, and has been associated with him throughout is political career.
In 1993 the PDC merged with the Democratic Social Party (Partido Democrático Social, PDS), forming the Reform Progressive Party (Partido Progressista Reformador, PPR). Eymael, opposed the meger and left the PPR. In 1995, he founded the PSDC, whose professes a commitment to the family, to defend their values and full service for their needs.
Accomplishments as a Member of the Chamber of Deputies
Congressional Deputy Eymael was rated by the Central Bureau of Investigation and Prosecution (Departamento Central de Investigação e Acção Penal, DIAP) as one of the twelve most influential lawmakers in Congress and at the end of the work of the Constituent National Assembly, and had 145 proposals approved, placing was among the fifteen with the highest number. Among these proposals, there are the following:
- Advance notice of 30 days for all workers;
- Workweek of 44 hours;
- Employee's right to leisure;
- Prohibition of the existence of tax for purposes of confiscation;
- Requirement for taxpayers in the same situation have the same tax treatment;
- Admissibility of an injunction also against acts by any corporation in the exercise of public functions;
- Chance of GST be lower for most needed products, such as the products that comprise the basket;
- Article 180 of the Constitution, which obliges the Union, states and municipalities to support and encourage tourism as a factor in economic and social development;
- Article 17 of the Temporary Constitutional Provisions Act, which states that whenever a public official to receive compensation or retirement incomes exceed the constitutional limits, these values must be lowered immediately to those limits, not fitting in this case, invocation of rights acquired;
- Compulsory unions, states and municipalities to publish until the 30th of each month the amounts collected or received in that month, thus enabling the society's control over public revenue;
- Duty of adult children caring for aging parents, need or sickness (Article 229 of the Constitution);
While in the National Constituent Assembly, Eymael was also the author of the speech advocating the retention of the name of God in the preamble of the Constitution, opposing its proposed removal.
Life outside of politics
Jose Maria Eymael is a lawyer specializing in taxes and an entrepreneur in the areas of marketing and communications. He is married, and has two children and five grandchildren.
- W.V. Comunicação - Denis Akao. "José Maria Eymael Presidente Nacional do PSDC" [Jose Maria Eymael National President of the PSDC] (in Portuguese). São Paulo: PSDC Brasil. Retrieved December 18, 2010. Translate the Portuguese source to English
- "José Maria Eymael: quem é o candidato do PSDC à Presidênci" [Jose Maria Eymael: who is the presidential candidate of the PSDC]. Eleições 201 (in Portuguese). Terra Networks Brasil S.A. Retrieved December 18, 2010. Translate the Portuguese source to English
- "G1 > Eleições 2006 - NOTÍCIAS - José Maria Eymael (PSDC)" [G1 > Elections 2006 - NEWS - Jose Maria Eymael (PSDC)] (in Portuguese). Globo Comunicação e Participações SA. August 22, 2006. Retrieved December 18, 2010. Translate the Portuguese source to English