José Ortega (baseball)
Colorado Rockies – No. 74
October 12, 1988 |
Caja Seca, Venezuela
|June 8, 2012 for the Detroit Tigers|
(through April 26, 2014)
|Earned run average||5.74|
José Antonio (Chourio) Ortega (born October 12, 1988) is a Venezuelan professional baseball pitcher in the Colorado Rockies organization. He has played for the Detroit Tigers in Major League Baseball.
2012: Debut with Tigers
Ortega was called up to the Major Leagues by the Detroit Tigers in June 2012. He made his Major League debut on June 8, 2012 against the Cincinnati Reds giving up two hits in 1⁄3 innings pitched. After the game, Ortega was sent back down to minor league Triple-A Toledo Mud Hens.
Ortega was called up again on April 26, 2014 to add a fresh arm after the bullpen was heavily used that week. He had to be used right away when starter Aníbal Sánchez came out of the game in the 3rd inning. Ortega gave up four runs over 11⁄3 innings without giving up a hit, while allowing five walks. He was optioned back to the Mud Hens on May 6, 2014 to make room for Robbie Ray. On August 29, 2014, he was designated for assignment by the Detroit Tigers. From June 19 on, Ortega had a 4.78 ERA and a .406 OBP against with the Mud Hens.
Ortega signed a minor league deal with the Colorado Rockies on November 22, 2014
- Schmehl, James (June 6, 2012). "Detroit Tigers call up two from Triple-A Toledo; Alex Avila placed on 15-day DL and catcher Omir Santos demoted". MLive. Retrieved June 9, 2012.
- Lowe, John (June 9, 2012). "Cincinnati 6, Detroit 5 (10 inn.): Tigers waste 8th-inning lead after rallying from 4-0". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved June 9, 2012.
- Iott, Chris (June 9, 2012). "Detroit Tigers option rookie right-hander Jose Ortega to Triple-A Toledo". MLive. Retrieved June 9, 2012.
- "Jose Ortega 2013 Minor League stats".
- Duffey, Gene (May 2, 2013). "Ortega hoping to stick in Tigers' bullpen". MLB. Retrieved May 2, 2013.
- Donnelly, Patrick (April 26, 2014). "Tigers call up Ortega to aid tired bullpen". MLB. Retrieved April 26, 2014.
- Iott, Chris (April 26, 2014). "Detroit Tigers' Anibal Sanchez leaves game in third inning due to blister on right middle finger". MLive. Retrieved April 26, 2014.
- Beck, Jason (August 29, 2014). "Ortega designated for assignment after tough stretch". MLB. Retrieved August 29, 2014.