Josef W. Meri
|Josef (Yousef) Meri|
December 23, 1969 |
|Other names||Yousef Meri; Josef W. Meri; Josef Meri; Yūsuf Waleed al-Marʿī; Josef Waleed Meri; Yousef Waleed Meri; يوسف مرعي|
|Fields||Islamic History; Islamic Studies; Jewish Studies|
|Institutions||Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich|
|Alma mater||U.C. Berkeley; Oxford University|
|Known for||Islamic History; Islamic Studies; Muslim-Jewish Relations|
Josef (Yousef) Waleed Meri (Ar. يوسف وليد مرعي / Yūsuf Walīd al-Marʿī / Hebr. יוסף מרעי) is a leading specialist in medieval Islamic history and civilization, social history, the history of the Jewish communities of the Middle East and the academic study of interfaith relations. He is the eighth Allianz Visiting Professor of Islamic Studies (2013-2014) at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich. He was a Fellow of St. Edmund's College, Cambridge, and a Visiting Fellow at the Centre of Islamic Studies, Cambridge University.
He was born in Chicago in 1969 and comes from a Jerusalemite family. He received a B.A. degree (Magna cum laude) from University of California, Berkeley in 1992, an M.A. degree from State University of New York Binghamton in 1995 and a D.Phil degree from Wolfson College, Oxford, Oxford University in 1999.
From 2010-2013 he served as Academic Director of the Centre for the Study of Muslim-Jewish Relations, Woolf Institute, Cambridge where he is an affiliated scholar. From 2005-2010 he served as Special Scholar in Residence and coordinator of the Great Tafsirs of the Qur'an project (Altafsir.com) at the Royal Aal al-Bayt Institute for Islamic Thought, Amman, Jordan which is under the patronage of Abdallah II, King of Jordan. He is a lifetime fellow of the Institute. Prior to that he was a visiting scholar at the Institute of Ismaili Studies, London and the University of California, Berkeley.
Books & Edited Volumes
- The Cult of Saints among Muslims and Jews in Medieval Syria (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002) (ISBN 0-19-925078-2).
- (ed. with F. Daftary) Culture and Memory in Medieval Islam (London and New York: I.B. Tauris, 2003) (ISBN 1-86064-859-2).
- (ed. and trans.) A Lonely Wayfarer's Guide to Pilgrimage: Ali ibn Abi Bakr's Kitab al-Isharat ila Ma'rifat al-Ziyarat (Princeton: Darwin Press, 2004) (ISBN 0-87850-169-X).
- (ed.) Medieval Islamic Civilization: An Encyclopedia, 2 vols. (New York: Routledge, 2006) (ISBN 0-415-96690-6).
- (ed.) Bayān al-Farq bayn al-Ṣadr wal-Qalb wal-Fuʾād wal-Lubb بيان الفرق بين الصدر والقلب والفؤاد واللب], (Amman: The Royal Islamic Strategic Studies Centre, 2009).
- (ed.)  Bayān al-Farq bayn al-Ṣadr wal-Qalb wal-Fuʾād wal-Lubb (بيان الفرق بين الصدر والقلب والفؤاد واللب], Second revised edition (Amman: The Royal Islamic Strategic Studies Centre, 2012) (ISBN 978-9957-8533-5-8).
- Academia.edu profile
- LinkedIn Profile
- Royal Aal al-Bayt Institute for Islamic Thought, Amman
- LinkedIn profile
- Centre of Islamic Studies, University of Cambridge