|Member of the European Parliament|
12 June 2004 – 2009
|1st Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Czech republic|
1 January 1993 – 23 October 1997
|Succeeded by||Jaroslav Šedivý|
April 4, 1946 |
Moscow, RSFSR, Soviet Union
|Political party||Public Affairs|
|Civic Democratic Party (1992–2004)
SNK European Democrats (2004–9)
||This biographical article is written like a résumé. (January 2008)|
Doc.Ing. Josef Zieleniec, CSc. (born 28 May 1946 in Moscow) is a Czech politician and former Member of the European Parliament. From 2004, he has been a member of the SNK-ED. In the European Parliament, he was a member of the European People's Party and sat on the European Parliament's Committee on Foreign Affairs and Committee on Economic and Monetary Affairs.
Josef Zieleniec spent the greater part of his professional career working as an economist. Prior to the fall of the communist regime in Czechoslovakia in 1989 he worked first in the Institute of Research in Engineering Technology and Economics Research, and later at the Institute of Economics of the Czechoslovak Academy of Science. Apart from research in microeconomic theory, he dealt with problems of economic transition from a centrally planned to market economy. The study „Czechoslovakia at the crossroads", based on his research had a significant impact on discussions of economic reforms after 1989.
At the beginning of 1990 Josef Zieleniec co-founded The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education,the first American-style economics Ph.D. program in Central and Eastern Europe, at the Charles University in Prague. He became its first director, was also appointed senior lecturer in economics and was a member of the Scientific Council of the Faculty of Social Sciences at Charles University.
Zieleniec has Polish heritage.
- 1974: Master's degree (University of Economics, Prague, Prague)
- 1986: holder of the postgraduate qualification 'Candidate of Sciences' (Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences, Prague)
- 1991: senior lecturer (Charles University, Prague)
- 1973–1989: Research fellow
- since 1997: University teacher (1989–1992)
- 1998–2003: Businessman
- since 1997: Economic advisor
- 1992–1997: Vice-Chairman of Civic Democratic Party (ODS)
- since 2004: Political leader of SNK (Association of Independent Candidates)
- 1996–2000: Member of the Chamber of Deputies of the Czech Republic
- 2000–2004: Senator
- 1992: Minister for Foreign Relations of Czechoslovakia
- 1993–1997: Foreign Minister of the Czech Republic
- 1996–1997: Deputy Prime Minister of the Czech Republic
- "Z Radykałami nie rozmawiać?" (in Polish). Głos Ludu. Retrieved 24 September 2010.
- Official website of Josef Zieleniec: www.zieleniec.cz
- European Parliament biography of Josef Zieleniec
- Declaration (PDF) of financial interests (Czech)
|Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic