|No. 72 San Diego Chargers|
|Date of birth:||January 4, 1989|
|Place of birth:||Detroit, Michigan|
|Height:||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight:||326 lb (148 kg)|
|High school:||Detroit (MI) Cass|
|NFL draft:||2011 / Round: 3 / Pick: 92|
Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2014
|Stats at NFL.com|
Joseph Brennen Barksdale (born January 4, 1989) is an American football offensive tackle for the San Diego Chargers of the National Football League (NFL). Barksdale was regarded as one of the better offensive tackle prospects of his class.
High school career
Barksdale attended Cass Technical High School in Detroit, Michigan, where he was a two-way lineman for coach Thomas Wilcher. He recorded 73 tackles (17 for losses), 14 hurries, seven quarterback sacks, one interception and three forced fumbles as a senior, and received High School All-American honors by Parade and USA Today. He also participated in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl as a member of the East team.
Considered a four-star recruit by Rivals.com, Barksdale was listed as the No. 6 defensive tackle prospect in the nation. He chose LSU over Michigan State, Notre Dame and Ohio State, becoming the first state of Michigan signee in LSU history.
Barksdale graduated early from high school and enrolled at LSU in January 2007. Although recruited as a defensive tackle, he was switched to the offensive side of the ball during fall camp. As a true freshman in 2007 he played 14 games as a backup to Carnell Stewart at right tackle.
Following Stewart's graduation, Barksdale took over as right tackle and started all 13 games for the Tigers. He helped anchor an offensive line that paved the way for an LSU rushing attack that ranked No. 4 in the SEC with 166.7 yards per game. Barksdale and left tackle Ciron Black were regarded as "the best duo of tackles in SEC."
St. Louis Rams
San Diego Chargers
- "NFL Draft - 2011 OT Draft Prospects", CBSSports.com
- "2006 All-USA high school football team", USA Today
- "Defensive tackles 2007", Rivals.com, January 24, 2007
- Nadeau, Rene (August 11, 2009), "Rating the SEC position-by-position", NewOrleans.com
- Thomas, Jim. "Rams trail 10-6 at halftime". St. Louis Post Dispatch. Retrieved 21 October 2012.
- Wade, Richard. "San Diego Chargers sign offensive tackle Joe Barksdale". SB Nation. Retrieved 19 May 2015.
- Career statistics and player information from
- Louisiana State Tigers bio