An apprentice of the Charles E. Cooper Art Studio in New York, Bowler was named The Artists' Guild of New York Artist of the Year in 1967. The award was a break for Bowler, who between 1968 and 1971 illustrated Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy for Ladies' Home Journal, and David Eisenhower and his wife Julie for The Saturday Evening Post.
- In 1958, Bowler was struck down with Polio.
- Bowler was named in the Society of Illustrators Hall of Fame in 1992
- Joseph Bowler's Official Website. Retrieved 08 January 2009.
- American Art Archives article on some of Joseph Bowler's Illustrative Work. Retrieved 08 January 2009.
- A Short Biography on Joseph Bowler. Retrieved 08 January 2009.
- Society of Illustrators Hall of Fame. Retrieved 08 January 2009.