Count Palatine Joseph Charles of Sulzbach
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (February 2010)|
|Joseph Charles of Sulzbach|
|Spouse(s)||Countess Palatine Elizabeth Augusta Sophie of Neuburg|
|Noble family||House of Wittelsbach|
|Father||Theodore Eustace, Count Palatine of Sulzbach|
|Mother||Landgravine Eleonore Maria Amalie of Hesse-Rotenburg|
2 November 1694|
|Died||18 July 1729
|Buried||St. Michael's Church, Munich|
The Sulzbach line was related to the Palatinate-Neuburg line who were Electors Palatine. The Elector of the Palatinate Charles III Philip failed to produce a legitimate male heir, as did his brothers. Joseph Charles, the eldest son of the Count Palatine of Sulzbach, was the heir apparent. On May 2, 1717, Joseph Charles married Countess Palatine Elizabeth Augusta Sophie of Neuburg (1693–1728), the daughter of Charles III Philip, a match intended to unite the two lines and prevented another succession war.
However, all the sons fathered by the couple died in infancy, and only three daughters survived. In 1728, Elizabeth Augusta died in childbirth, and Joseph Charles died the following year in Oggersheim. Therefore, the inheritance of Palatinate-Sulzbach and the eventual inheritance passed to Joseph Charles' brother John Christian Joseph and his family.
Joseph Charles was buried in the St. Michael's Church, Munich.
- Karl Philipp August von der Pfalz (1718–1724)
- Innocenza Maria, Pfalzgräfin von der Pfalz (1719–1719)
- Elizabeth Augusta of Sulzbach (1721–1794), married Charles Theodore, Elector of Bavaria
- Maria Anna, Pfalzgräfin von der Pfalz (1722–1790), married Clement, Duke of Bavaria and Count Palatine
- Maria Francisca of Sulzbach (1724–1794), married Frederick Michael, second son of Christian III, Duke of Zweibrücken
- Karl Philipp August, Pfalzgraf von der Pfalz (1725–1728)
- A son, Pfalzgraf von der Pfalz (1728–1728)
Category:Burials at St. Michael's Church, Munich