Sir Joseph Dimsdale, 1st Baronet
He was born in Cornhill on 19 January 1849, the eldest son of Joseph Cockfield Dimsdale of Cleveland Square, London, and educated at Eton. His father was from an old Quaker family with roots in Essex, and he was related to the physician and politician Thomas Dimsdale (1712-1800).
Dimsdale was the Managing Director of Prescott, Dimsdale and Co, bankers. He was elected Alderman of Cornhill from 1891 to 1902, Sheriff of London for 1893, and Lord Mayor of London for 1901. He was a leading member of the Grocers' Company, of which he was for a time Master. In the 1900 general election, he was elected as the Member of Parliament (MP) for the City of London, and served one term until 1906.
He was knighted in 1894, in commemoration of the opening of the Tower Bridge and birth of an heir to the Throne while he was Sheriff. In 1902 he carried the crystal sceptre of the City of London in front of Edward VII at his Coronation, and was created a baronet in June, 1902. He was made a Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order (KCVO).
He died on 9 August 1912.
Dimsdale married, in 1873, Beatrice Eliza Bower Holdsworth, daughter of Robert Hunt Holdsworth, of London, and had three children. The eldest son, John Holdsworth Dimsdale (1874-1923), succeeded as 2nd Baronet.
- Warden of the Grocers Company
- “Who was Who” 1897–2007 London, A & C Black, 2007 ISBN 978-0-19-954087-7
- "Civic ceremonies - Election of Lord Mayor" The Times (London). Monday, 30 September 1901. (36573), p. 12.
- The Times, Saturday, 2 November 1901; pg. 9; Issue 36602; col A The Lord Mayor's Show
- "The Register, Adelaide, June 27, 1902. page 5". Trove. Retrieved 2013-08-21.
- Obituary Sir Joseph Dimsdale The Times Monday, 12 August 1912; pg. 9; Issue 39975; col E
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Joseph Dimsdale
|573rd Lord Mayor of London
Sir Marcus Samuel
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
Sir Reginald Hanson, Bt
|Member of Parliament for the City of London
1900 – 1906
With: Alban Gibbs
Sir Edward George Clarke
|Baronetage of the United Kingdom|
(of Goldsmiths and Lancaster Street)
John Holdsworth Dimsdale