Joseph D. Bedle
He served as a delegate to 1864 Democratic National Convention. In 1865, Governor Joel Parker appointed Bedle as an associate justice of the New Jersey Supreme Court, where he served until 1875. Bedle was elected Governor of New Jersey, and served a single term, from 1875-1878. Bedle died at St. Luke's Hospital in New York City on October 21, 1894 from complications from surgery. He was buried at Maplewood Cemetery in Freehold Township.
- "Widow of Former New Jersey Governor Succumbs to Pneumonia.". The New York Times. March 25, 1926. Retrieved 2010-03-10. "Mrs. Altha Fitz Randolph Bedle, widow of Joseph D. Bedle, one-time Governor of New Jersey, did yesterday in her apartment at the Fairmont Hotel in ..."
- "Joseph D. Bedle, Ex-Member of Jersey Assembly, Keyport Civic Leader, 66". The New York Times. December 26, 1942. Retrieved 2010-03-10. "Former State Assemblyman Joseph D. Bedle died today in his home here at the age of 66. He represented Monmouth County in the ..."
- "Ex-Gov. Joseph D. Bedle Is Dead. Succumbs Under the Effects of a Surgical Operation". Chicago Tribune. October 24, 1894. Retrieved 2010-03-10. "Joseph Dorsett Bedle, ex-Governor of New Jersey, died this evening at St. Luke's Hospital, this city, where he underwent a surgical operation Saturday afternoon. His body will be removed tomorrow to his late home in Jersey City."
- "William A. Newell is the Eldest ex-Governor, and Next to Him Is George C. Ludlow, Who Was Elected Twenty-four Years After Mr. Newell Retired. Leon Abbett and Robert S. Green Complete This List of Historic Figures.". The New York Times. October 28, 1894. Retrieved 2010-03-10. "It is an interesting historical coincidence that on the same day that ex-Gov. Joseph D. Bedle was buried, a sister Commonwealth was paying its tribute to the heroic deeds of a distinguished Jerseyman by unveiling an equestrian statue to commemorate the bravery of George B. McClellan, the thirtieth Governor of New-Jersey after the adoption of the Constitution."
- Biography of Joseph Dorsett Bedle (PDF), New Jersey State Library
- New Jersey Governor Joseph Dorsett Bedle, National Governors Association
- Find A Grave for Joseph D. Bedle
- Joseph Dorsett Bedle, The Political Graveyard
- Dead Governors of New Jersey bio for Joel Parker
|Governor of New Jersey
January 19, 1875–January 15, 1878
George B. McClellan
|Party political offices|
|Democratic Nominee for Governor of New Jersey
George B. McClellan
|This article about a New Jersey politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|