|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2009)|
Delaney at Salon du livre 2008 (Paris, France)
|Born||Joseph Henry Delaney
25 July 1945
Preston, Lancashire, England, U.K.
|Alma mater||Lancaster University|
Life and career
On first leaving school, Delaney started work as an apprentice engineer. Upon the completion of his schooling, he went on to become an English instructor, with his initial literary specialization being in the area of vampire lore. In his capacity as an educator, he worked to establish the Media and Film Studies department at Blackpool Sixth Form College.
Delaney's writing career began with the release of a sci-fi book, written under the pen-name of J.K. Haderack. This was followed up by releases under his real name, including his first children's novel, which was in part based upon actual experiences and memories he had as a youth. Additional works were produced to expand that single work into a series of titles tailored primarily at Young Adult and Adult Fiction audiences. The books that he wrote after his first pen-name book were The Wardstone Chronicles.
Delaney stepped down from his position as an educator in order to devote his energies to a full-time writing career. He has three children and nine grandchildren.
The Wardstone Chronicles (UK) / Last Apprentice (USA)
The Wardstone Chronicle Series is an examination of a Master / Student relationship particular to the supernatural.
"The County", as written about in the books, is based on Lancashire in the North of England. The locations concerned are also largely based on those known to Delaney, for example: the town of Priestown is based loosely on Preston, where he was born; Lancaster becomes Caster; Blackpool is now the Black Pool; and Chipping is Chipenden. He still lives in the same area that "The County" is based on.
- The Spook's Apprentice (Reprinted in the USA as: Revenge of the Witch) - 2004
- The Spook's Curse (Reprinted in the USA as: Curse of the Bane) - 2005
- The Spook's Secret (Reprinted in the USA as: Night of the Soul Stealer) 2006
- The Spook's Battle (Reprinted in the USA as: Attack of the Fiend) - 2007
- The Spook's Mistake (Reprinted in the USA as: Wrath of the Bloodeye) - 2008
- The Spook's Sacrifice (Reprinted in the USA as: Clash of the Demons) - 2009
- The Spook's Nightmare (Reprinted in the USA as: Rise of the Huntress) - 2010
- The Spook's Destiny (Reprinted in the USA as: Rage of the Fallen) - 2011
- Spook's: I Am Grimalkin (Reprinted in the USA as "Grimalkin, the witch assassin") - October 2011
- The Spook's Blood (Reprinted in the USA as : " Lure of the Dead" )- June 2012
- Spook's: Slither's Tale (Reprinted in the USA as : "Slither") 2013
- Spook's: I Am Alice - September 3, 2013
- Spook's: The Spook's Revenge
Joseph Delaney has also written spin-off novels set in the world of the Wardstone Chronicles;
- The Spook's Tale - 2009, as part of World Book Day
- The Spook's Bestiary - 2010
- Spook's Stories: Witches (Reprinted in the USA as: A Coven of Witches) - 2009