||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2009)|
Delaney at Salon du livre 2008 (Paris, France)
|Born||Joseph Henry Delaney
25 July 1945
Preston, Lancashire, England, U.K.
|Alma mater||Lancaster University|
Life and career
Delaney was born in 1945 in Preston, England. He attended the Regent House Grammar School in Newtownards, Northern Ireland and graduated from Lancaster University. Following graduation, Delaney worked as an apprentice engineer, but eventually became an English teacher at Blackpool Sixth Form College, where he helped start the Media and Film Studies Department.
His first works were written under the pseudonym J.K. Haderack. Beginning with the publication of the first book of The Wardstone Chronicles in 2004, published under his real name, Delaney achieved international success chronicling the adventures of his lead character, Thomas J. Ward.
Delaney retired from teaching and now writes full-time.
He has three children and seven grandchildren.
The Wardstone Chronicles (UK) / The Last Apprentice (USA)
The Wardstone Chronicles (published as The Last Apprentice series in the USA) are an examination of a Master/Student relationship particular to the supernatural. The Chronicles follow Thomas "Tom" Ward, the seventh son of a seventh son who is apprenticed to John Gregory to become a Spook - a master fighter of supernatural evil. John Gregory is the Spook for "the County" and gives Tom practical instruction on tackling ghosts, ghasts, witches, boggarts, and all manner of other things that serve "The Dark". Tom soon discovers that most of John Gregory's apprentices have failed for various reasons, including being killed in the process of learning how to be a Spook. As the Chronicles progress the focus expands to other characters such as the assassin Grimalkin and the young witch Alice Dean; overall the series develops the plot line of Tom being destined to either save the world or destroy it.
"The County" referenced in the Chronicles is based on Lancashire in the North of England. Various County fictional towns are thinly-veiled modern day cities; for example, the town of Priestown is based on Preston (where author Delaney was born); Caster is Lancaster; Black Pool is Blackpool; Chipenden is Chipping.
The film adaptation of The Spook's Apprentice, titled Seventh Son and directed by Sergey Bodrov, is currently in production and is due out in February 2015. Ben Barnes will star as the main protagonist Thomas Ward. Other actors cast are Jeff Bridges as John Gregory (the Spook), Julianne Moore as Mother Malkin, Alicia Vikander as Alice Deane, Kit Harington as Billy Bradley, Djimon Hounsou as Radu (an original character), and Antje Traue as Bony Lizzie.
The Starblade Chronicles
The Starblade Chronicles are a planned trilogy following the continued adventures of Tom Ward, who has finished his apprenticeship and is now a Spook in his own right dedicated to fighting an unparalleled evil threatening the County, and the world.
The Wardstone Chronicles and The Starblade Chronicles are jointly referred to as The Spook's Series. 
The Wardstone Chronicles
- The Spook's Apprentice (Published in the USA as: The Last Apprentice: Revenge of the Witch) - 2004
- The Spook's Curse (Published in the USA as: The Last Apprentice: Curse of the Bane) - 2005
- The Spook's Secret (Published in the USA as: The Last Apprentice: Night of the Soul Stealer) - 2006
- The Spook's Battle (Published in the USA as: The Last Apprentice: Attack of the Fiend) - 2007
- The Spook's Mistake (Published in the USA as: The Last Apprentice: Wrath of the Bloodeye) - 2008
- The Spook's Sacrifice (Published in the USA as: The Last Apprentice: Clash of the Demons) - 2009
- The Spook's Nightmare (Published in the USA as: The Last Apprentice: Rise of the Huntress) - 2010
- The Spook's Destiny (Published in the USA as: The Last Apprentice: Rage of the Fallen) - 2011
- Spook's: I Am Grimalkin (Published in the USA as: The Last Apprentice: Grimalkin the witch assassin) - 2011
- The Spook's Blood (Published in the USA as: The Last Apprentice: Lure of the Dead ) - 2012
- Spook's: Slither's Tale (Published in the USA as: The Last Apprentice: Slither) - 2013
- Spook's: Alice (Published in the USA as: The Last Apprentice: I Am Alice) - 2013
- The Spook's Revenge (Published in the USA as: The Last Apprentice: Fury of the Seventh Son) - 2014
Joseph Delaney has also written spin-off novels set in the world of the Wardstone Chronicles:
- The Spook's Tale - 2009 (As part of World Book Day)
- Spook's Stories: Witches (Published in the USA as: The Last Apprentice: A Coven of Witches) - 2009
- The Spook's Bestiary - 2010
The Starblade Chronicles
- A New Darkness - 2014
- Mysterious Erotic Tales (writing as J.K. Haderack - Contributing author of Elvara Should Be Easy to this anthology) - 1996
- Mercer's Whore (writing as J.K. Haderack) - 1997
- Haunted (Contributing author of The Castle Ghosts to this ghost story anthology) - 2011
- The Ghost Prison - 2013