|Member of the New York State Assembly
from the 148th district
January 1, 2013
|Preceded by||Raymond W. Walter|
|Member of the New York State Assembly
from the 149th district
January 1, 2005 – December 31, 2012
|Preceded by||Catharine Young|
|Succeeded by||Sean Ryan|
|Born||Joseph M. Giglio
September 12, 1954 
Buffalo, New York
|Residence||Gowanda, New York|
|Alma mater||SUNY at Buffalo|
Joseph M. "Joe" Giglio is a New York State Assemblyman from the 148th district, which includes all of Cattaraugus County, southern Allegany County and the easternmost towns and villages in Chautauqua County. He is a registered Republican.
Early in his career, Giglio served as a special assistant to then-New York State Attorney General Dennis Vacco, as an employee of the Cattaraugus County Sheriff's Department, responsible for coordinating efforts with all branches of government.
Following this, Giglio served as Deputy Inspector General. In this position, he conducted investigations of alleged criminal activity, fraud, and abuse by individuals and company officials who deal with state agencies in a region stretching from Buffalo to Syracuse to the Pennsylvania border.
As New York State Assembly Member
Giglio ascended to the Assembly due to a series of events following the death of former New York State Assemblywoman and Senator Patricia McGee, defeating Cattaraugus County legislator Carmen Vecchiarella in a special election on June 28, 2005. He won re-election in 2006 over Cattaraugus County legislator Linda Witte and again in 2008 over Allegany County supervisor Patrick Eaton. He faced Travis Lecceadone in the 2010 general election.
Support for areas declared disasters
In 2014, Giglio was recognized as a government leader who was successful in helping to achieve the award of $700,000 in compensation monies from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) for Gowanda, New York as a result of the devastating flood that occurred there in 2009. In 2009, a flash flood devastated the village, causing two deaths. Four feet of flood waters swept through the village, and caused much damage. The village was declared both a state and federal disaster site.
Of the anticipated disbursement of FEMA monies to Gowanda, New York due to the 2009 flood damage experienced there, Giglio is quoted, stating in the January 31, 2014 edition of Jamestown's The Post-Journal:
- Since (2009), village officials and officials from many other agencies worked vigorously to replace and repair badly damaged infrastructure. In doing so, the village incurred significant costs, much of which was reimbursable by FEMA. I'm pleased with Thursday's announcement that the village will be receiving approximately $700,000 in FEMA reimbursement.
- November 2006 general election, NYS Assembly, 149th AD
- November 2008 general election, NYS Assembly, 149th AD
- November 2010 general election, NYS Assembly, 149th AD
Giglio and his wife, Ann Marie, reside in the village of Gowanda, New York with three of their children, while a grown son resides in nearby Salamanca. The family attends St. Joseph Parish, Gowanda, New York. Giglio has served as a member of the St. Joseph School Board at the Parish.
- "State Assembly: Joseph M. Giglio (R-C-I), District 149". Capitol Info. Archived from the original on March 24, 2011. Retrieved April 14, 2011.
- "Assembly District 149, Joe Giglio: Biography". New York State Assembly. Retrieved April 14, 2011.
- Project Vote Smart: Joseph Giglio's Biography, Project Vote Smart.org, Philipsburg, MT, Retrieved 10 November 2013
- Ballot Pedia: Joseph Giglio, Ballot Pedia, Retrieved 10 November 2013
- "Special Election Results, 149th Assembly District: June 28, 2005" (PDF). New York State Board of Elections. 2005. Retrieved April 13, 2011.
- "General Election Results, State Assembly: November 7, 2006" (PDF). New York State Board of Elections. December 14, 2006. Retrieved April 13, 2011.
- "General Election Results, State Assembly: November 4, 2008" (PDF). New York State Board of Elections. December 4, 2008. Retrieved April 13, 2011.
- "General Election Results, State Assembly: November 2, 2010" (PDF). New York State Board of Elections. December 13, 2010. Retrieved April 13, 2011.
- Gowanda to receive $700K in FEMA funding, The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY: The Post Journal, 31 January 2014, Retrieved 3 February 2014.
- Over $700K going to Gowanda, The Observer, Dunkirk, NY, 31 January 2014, Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- "St. Joseph School Board" (2006-2007). St. Joseph School, Gowanda, New York: St. Joseph School.
|New York Assembly|
Catharine M. Young
|New York State Assembly, 149th District
July 2005 – December 31, 2012
Sean M. Ryan
Raymond W. Walter
|New York State Assembly, 148th District
January 1, 2013 – present