"The Charming Brute" - caricature by Joseph Goupy
of Handel, 1754
Joseph Goupy (1689–1769) was a French engraver, painter, set designer, and watercolourist. One of his patrons was Frederick, Prince of Wales, and with his brother Francis, he was a member of the St Martin's Lane Academy, studying under his uncle Louis Goupy. He was a friend of Handel, but Goupy's caricature of Handel (dated 1754, right) may have ended the friendship.
- Joseph Goupy : Oxford Biography Index entry (requires a subscription)
- Joseph Goupy at the National Portrait Gallery, London
- Harris, Ellen T. "Joseph Goupy and George Frideric Handel: From Professional Triumphs to Personal Estrangement", Huntington Library Quarterly 71/3 (2008), 397-452.
- Chrissochoidis, Ilias. "Handel, Hogarth, Goupy: Artistic intersections in Handelian biography", Early Music 37/4 (November 2009), 577–596.
- Cambridge Music Handbooks, Handel: Water Music and Music for the Royal Fireworks
- Handel caricatured: Joseph Goupy (1686–1770), The charming brute ... (requires a subscription)