Joseph Gregori High School
|Joseph A. Gregori High School|
|5500 Stoddard Road
Modesto, California, 95356
|School district||Modesto City Schools|
|Campus size||88 acres (36 ha)|
|Color(s)||Navy blue and Gold|
|Athletics||CIF Sac-Joaquin Section|
|Athletics conference||Modesto Metropolitan Conference|
Planning for this school started in the early 1990s, following a lengthy history within the district of the need for another campus to accommodate students in the Salida area and northwest Modesto, relieving overcrowding at Modesto and Davis High School. In 2001, Modesto City Schools passed a high school bond called Measure T that provided $65 million for the construction of two high schools.
The school opened in the fall of 2010 with 9th and 10th grade students. It is designed for a capacity of 2,500 students and projected to open with 1,800–1,950 students. The school's first principal is Jeff Albritton, who has served as principal at Davis High School in Modesto.
The 88-acre (36 ha) campus sits on land formerly used as almond and walnut orchards. Modesto City School District purchased the property from the family of Dick and Jennie Van Konynenburg. The family had owned the property since 1932.
The school's 14 buildings were designed by Fresno-based firm Darden Architects.
Gregori has a huge campus and has over 2,000 students enrolled, so the student body is split up in 4 different SLCs (Small Learning Communities).
- Digital Media & Business
- Visual & Performing Arts
- Global Studies
- Career Technology
Although it is a newer school, Gregori has a lot of electives to offer including classes in the categories of: foreign languages, visual and performing arts, agriculture, business, health, physical education, broadcast & multimedia journalism, and digital media.
Gregori features normal extracurricular activities in all major sports.
- Track and field
- Water polo
In addition to after school sports, Gregori offers a variety of clubs on campus. Here is a list of current clubs and organizations:
- Academic Decathlon
- Black Student Union
- Broadcast Journalism
- Cube Club
- Fashion Club
- French Club
- Get Motivated Daily
- Global Club
- Gregori Card Club
- Gregori Christian Outreach
- Hip Hop Club
- Interact Club
- K.E.Y. Club
- Military Club
- Philosophy Club
- Ping Pong
- Teens Run Modesto
- Ultimate Frisbee Club
- World Media
- Balassone, Merrill (2008-04-22). "Gregori High mascot no average Joe". Modesto Bee.
- Balassone, Merrill (2007-10-27). "Gregori getting closer to reality: Groundbreaking's on Tuesday, just before board signs contract". Modesto Bee.
- Johnson, Elizabeth (2005-03-01). "Salida high school is a go". Modesto Bee. p. 1.
The school, the district's seventh comprehensive high school is two years behind schedule.
- Balassone, Merrill (2007-03-16). "Gregori High principal selected: Jeff Albritton will leave Davis to lead new school in Salida". Modesto Bee.
- Balassone, Merrill (2007-06-15). "High school looking at year delay". Modesto Bee.
- Herendeen, Susan (2002-04-16). "Schools named for Enochs, Gregori". Modesto Bee. p. 1.
- Flores, Diane (1998-03-10). "Schools mourn Gregori; Beyer principal, 50, collapses at home". Modesto Bee. p. 1.