Joseph Lelyveld (born April 5, 1937) was executive editor of the New York Times from 1994 to 2001, and interim executive editor in 2003 after the resignation of Howell Raines. He is a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and author, and a frequent contributor to the New York Review of Books.
In all, Lelyveld worked at the Times for nearly 40 years, starting out in 1962. He graduated from Harvard College in 1958, received a Master's degree from the Columbia School of Journalism in 1960, and subsequently a Fulbright Scholarship. At the Times, he went from copy editor to foreign correspondent within three years.
Among Lelyveld's books is Move Your Shadow: South Africa, Black and White, based on his reporting from Johannesburg, South Africa, in the 1960s and 1980s. He received the Pulitzer Prize for General Non-Fiction in 1986 for Move Your Shadow.
- "House of Bondage: A South African Black Man Exposes in His Own Pictures and Words the Bitter Life of His Homeland Today" (foreword to book by Ernest Cole). New York: Random House, 1967. LCCN 67-21147
- Move Your Shadow: South Africa, Black and White New York: Crown, 1985. ISBN 0-8129-1237-3 ISBN 978-0812912371
- Omaha Blues: A Memory Loop. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2005. ISBN 0-374-22590-7 ISBN 978-0374225902. April 6, 2005.
- Great Soul: Mahatma Gandhi and His Struggle With India Alfred A. Knopf, 2011. ISBN 978-0-307-26958-4, ISBN 978-0-307-26958-4. March 29, 2011.
- "Center for Communication – Bios". Retrieved 2008-10-14.
- Lelyveld, Joseph (March 6, 2005). "Breaking Away". New York Times Magazine. Retrieved 2008-10-14.
- "Pulitzer Prize Winners: General Non-Fiction" (WEB). pulitzer.org. Retrieved 2008-03-08.
- Dubner, Stephen J. (March 21, 2005). "The Vindication of Former New York Times Executive Editor Joe Lelyveld". New York Magazine. Retrieved 2008-10-14.
- Column archive at The New York Review of Books
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Works by or about Joseph Lelyveld in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Lelyveld audio interview reporting from the 2008 Republican National Convention for The New York Review of Books
- Review of Lelyveld's Gandhi biography by Christopher Hitchens, July 2011 in The Atlantic