Joseph Madachy (March 16, 1927 - March 27, 2014) was a research chemist, technical editor and renowned recreational mathematician. He was the lead editor of Journal of Recreational Mathematics for nearly 30 years and then served as editor emeritus. Previously he was owner, publisher and editor of the predecessor Recreational Mathematics Magazine which ran during 1961–1964 and had over 5000 subscribers.
In recreational mathematics he made numerous original contributions, was a major proponent and supporter for decades. Greenwood Press asked him to restart his journal in 1967, and for almost 30 years he was editor for the Journal of Recreational Mathematics which was published by Baywood Publishing from 1973. He authored the books Mathematics on Vacation, Madachy's Mathematical Recreations and Mathematical Diversions. Longtime colleagues and co-authors include Martin Gardner, Harry Nelson, and Isaac Asimov, and Solomon Golomb (with pentominos).
He worked with prime numbers, pentominos, amicable numbers and developed mathematical concepts used in applications such as cyber security with cryptarithmetic. He made contributions to Narcissistic numbers and Fibonacci series devising puzzles using Fibonacci numbers. His work in recreational mathematics covered other diverse areas from chess to calculator art.
- "Journal of Recreational Mathematics". baywood.com. Retrieved June 18, 2010.
- RECREATIONAL MATHEMATICS - The Fibonacci Quarterly
- Pickover, Clifford A. (2003-12-29). The Zen of Magic Squares, Circles, and Stars: An Exhibition of Surprising Structures Across Dimensions. Princeton University Press. pp. 110–. ISBN 9780691115979. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- Hunter, J.A.H. and Madachy, J. S., Mathematical Diversions, New York: Von Nostrand, 1963.
- Prime Magic Squares
- Madachy, J. S. "Magic and Antimagic Squares." Ch. 4 in Madachy's Mathematical Recreations. New York: Dover, pp. 85-113, 1979.
- "Pentominos - Some Solved and Unsolved Problems", The Journal of Recreational Mathematics. Baywood Publishing. July 1969.
- A Primer on Cryptarithmetic
- Joseph S. Madachy, Mathematics on Vacation, Thomas Nelson & Sons Ltd. 1966, pages 163-175
- Narcissistic numbers
- "Some New Narcissistic Numbers", The Fibonacci Quarterly. The Fibonacci Association. April 1972.
- The Fibonacci Quarterly 6 (1). The Fibonacci Association. February 1968. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- "Calculator Art Contest", Journal Of Recreational Mathematics, Baywood Publishing. July 1971
|This article about an American mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|