Joseph Anthony Mugnaini (July 12, 1912, Viareggio, Province of Lucca – January 23, 1992) was an artist and illustrator. He is best known for his collaborations with writer Ray Bradbury, beginning in 1952.
He was born Giuseppe Mugnaini in Viareggio in the Tuscany region of Italy, and immigrated with his family to America when he was three months old. He and his family resided on Solano Avenue in Los Angeles during the 1930s. He became an American citizen in 1941. He died in Los Angeles.
Books by Mugnaini
- Drawing: A Search for Form (1965)
- Oil painting: Techniques and Materials (1969)
- The Hidden Elements of Drawing (1974)
- Joseph Mugnaini: Drawings and Graphics (1982)
- Expressive Drawing: A Schematic Approach (1989)
- Ancestry.com. Social Security Death Index [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2007.
- John C. Tibbetts, "The Martian Chronicler Reflects", The Christian Science Monitor, March 20, 1991, p. 16.
- Passenger list of the S.S. Taormina, Port of New York, October 18, 1912, sheet 21, line 23.
- Passenger list of the S.S. Taormina, ibid., later notation.
- Ancestry.com. California Death Index, 1940-1997 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2000.
- Who Was Who in American Art. 2nd edition. Edited by Peter Hastings Falk. Sound View Press, 1999. ISBN 0-932087-57-4.
- A Biographical Dictionary of Science Fiction and Fantasy Artists. By Robert Weinberg. Greenwood Press, 1988. ISBN 0-313-24349-2.
- Who's Who in American Art. 12th edition. R.R. Bowker, 1976.
- Biography Index. Volume 6. H.W. Wilson Co., 1965.
- Oral Histories and Interviews
- Audio interview of Joseph Mugnaini on Illustrating for Ray Bradbury
- Photograpy of Joseph Mugnaini with illustration for Bradbury
- Photograph of Ray Bradbury with Mugnaini painting
- Book: Wilderness Of The Mind: The Art Of Joseph Mugnaini
- The Author of the above book with more art images