|Born||Joseph Richard Schlafman
April 14, 1924
Haverhill, Massachusetts, U.S.
|Died||December 28, 2013
Santa Monica, California, U.S.
Joseph Ruskin (born Joseph Richard Schlafman; April 14, 1924 – December 28, 2013) was an American character actor.
Ruskin appeared in an episode of The Outer Limits, called "Production and Decay of Strange Particles". He also appeared in the film Smokin' Aces. He appeared in “The Time Tunnel” episode “Revenge of the Gods,” as well as two separate two-part Mission: Impossible episodes "Old Man Out" and "The Slave". He had an uncredited voice role of the Kanamits from The Twilight Zone episode "To Serve Man", a season after playing the Genie in another episode, "The Man in the Bottle".
Ruskin died on December 28, 2013 at a hospital in Santa Monica, California.
Ruskin is one of the actors or actresses to have starred in both the original Star Trek (1966) (up to and including Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991)) and then in every spin off. Along with Majel Barrett, Clint Howard and Jack Donner, he is one of only four actors to appear in both the original Star Trek series and Star Trek: Enterprise (2001). He played a Vulcan Master in an episode of Star Trek: Voyager.
Selected television appearances
- The Untouchables episode: "Mexican Stake-out" (1959)
- Get Smart episode: "Now You See Him ... Now You Don't" (1965)
- The Man from U.N.C.L.E. episode: "The Her Master's Voice Affair" (1966)
- The Wild Wild West episodes: "The Night of the Fatal Trap" (1965), and "The Night of the Falcon" (1967)
- Star Trek: The Original Series episode: "The Gamesters of Triskelion" (1968)
- Mission Impossible episode: "The Brothers" (1969)
- The Six Million Dollar Man episodes: "Operation Firefly" (1974), "Lost Love" (1975)
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episodes: "The House of Quark" (1994), "Improbable Cause" (1995) and "Looking for par'Mach in All the Wrong Places" (1996)
- Star Trek: Voyager episode: "Gravity" (1999)
- Star Trek: Enterprise episode: "Broken Bow" (2001)
Ruskin was married twice. To Patricia Herd (1968–1979); divorced. He remarried to Barbara Greene on May 24, 1992 and the couple remained married until his death.