Joseph S. B. Mitchell
|Joseph S. B. Mitchell|
Joe Mitchell at SoCG 2011
|Fields||Theoretical Computer Science|
|Institutions||Stony Brook University
|Alma mater||Carnegie Mellon University
|Doctoral advisor||Christos Papadimitriou|
|Known for||Computational geometry|
|Notable awards||Gödel Prize (2010)|
Mitchell received a BS (1981, Physics and Applied Mathematics), and an MS (1981, Mathematics) from Carnegie Mellon University, and Ph.D. (1986, Operations Research) from Stanford University (under advisorship of Christos Papadimitriou). He was with Hughes Research Laboratories (1981–86) and then on the faculty of Cornell University (1986–1991). He now serves as Professor of Applied Mathematics and Statistics and Research Professor of Computer Science at Stony Brook University.
Mitchell has served for several years on the Computational Geometry Steering Committee, often as Chair. He is on the editorial board of the journals Discrete and Computational Geometry, Computational Geometry: Theory and Applications, Journal of Computational Geometry, and the Journal of Graph Algorithms and Applications, and is an Editor-in-Chief of the International Journal of Computational Geometry and Applications. He has served on numerous program committees and was co-chair of the PC for the 21st ACM Symposium on Computational Geometry (2005).
Awards and honors
Mitchell has been an NSF Presidential Young Investigator, Fulbright Scholar, and a recipient of the President's Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Activities. He shared the 2010 Gödel Prize with Sanjeev Arora for devising a polynomial-time approximation scheme for the Euclidean travelling salesman problem. In 2011 the Association for Computing Machinery listed him as an ACM Fellow for his research in computational geometry and approximation algorithms. He has also won numerous teaching awards.
- Joseph S. B. Mitchell at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Computational Geometry Steering Committee
- Editorial Board, DCG
- Editorial Board, CGTA
- Editorial Team, JoCG
- Journal of Graph Algorithms and Applications
- Editorial Board, IJCGA
- Rosenberger, Jack (2010), "Gödel Prize and Other CS Awards: Sanjeev Arora, Joseph S.B. Mitchell, and other researchers are recognized for their contributions to computer science", Communications of the ACM 53 (8): 21, doi:10.1145/1787234.1787267.
- "Mathematics People: Arora and Mitchell Awarded Gödel Prize", Notices of the AMS 57 (8), 2010: 1000.
- ACM Names Fellows for Computing Advances that Are Driving Innovation, Association for Computing Machinery, December 8, 2011.