|Born||1939 (age 74–75)
|Residence||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Net worth|| US$14.9 billion (Dec 2014)
|Children||Jacob J Safra, Alberto J Safra, Esther Safra Dayan, David J Safra|
|Parents||Jacob Safra (father)|
|Family||Moise Safra, Edmond Safra, Arlette Safra (siblings)|
Joseph Safra (born 1939) is a Brazilian banker who runs the Brazilian banking and investment empire, Safra Group. He serves as the chairman of all Safra companies, among them Safra National Bank of New York and Banco Safra headquartered in São Paulo, Brazil.
Joseph Safra was born in Aleppo, Syria, into a wealthy banking family. The family's history in banking originated with caravan trade between Beirut, Aleppo, Alexandria and Istanbul during the Ottoman Empire.
The Safra family moved to Brazil in 1952. In 1955, Joseph's 23-year-old brother, Edmond Safra, and his father, Jacob Safra, started working in Brazil by financing assets in São Paulo. But soon, Edmond Safra separated from his brothers Joseph and Moise and headed to New York where he founded the Republic National Bank of New York (which he later sold to HSBC in 1999 and donated most of his money to the Edmond Safra Foundation). Joseph Safra founded Banco Safra in 1955 and today it is reportedly the 6th largest private bank in Brazil. He remains the chairman of the Safra Group offering banking services throughout Europe, North and South America.
Joseph Safra recently acquired the remaining shares of Safra Group companies from his brother Moise Safra. The two brothers still maintain a shareholding in Fibria Cellulose. He has four children: Jacob J. Safra, Esther Safra Dayan, Alberto J. Safra, David J. Safra.
Safra's business holdings include:
- Fibria Cellulose
- Banco Safra
- Bank Jacob Safra Switzerland
- Safra Group
- Safra National Bank of New York
- Gherkin 30 st Mary axe, London
- The Safra Dynasty: The Mysterious Family Of The Richest Banker In The World
- Forbes: The Wolrd's Billionaires - Joseph Safra November 2014
- Jerusalem Post: The world's 50 Richest Jews: 11-20 retrieved November 16, 2014
- New York Times: "INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS; The Safras of Brazil: Banking, Faith and Security" By SIMON ROMERO December 08, 1999
- Forbes.com: Forbes World's Richest People
- Meet Joseph Safra, The Richest Banker On The Planet and The Safra Dynasty: The Mysterious Family Of The Richest Banker In The World on Business Insider