|Born||1939 (age 74–75)
|Residence||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Net worth|| US$ $15.9 billion (est.)
(Forbes, March 2012).
|Family||Jacqui Safra (father), Moise Safra, Edmond Safra, Arlette Safra (siblings), Married with 4 children, Vicky Safra (spouse)|
Joseph Safra (born 1939) is a Brazilian banker who currently runs the Brazilian banking and investment empire, Safra Group. As the chairman of all Safra companies, among them Safra National Bank of New York and the large Banco Safra headquartered in São Paulo, Brazil, he is ranked at 46 with a net wealth of $15.9 billion on Forbes list of billionaires. As of 2013, he is listed as the second Richest Brazilian by Forbes Brazil.
Joseph was born in Allepo, Syria, into a wealthy banking family. The family's history in banking originated with caravan trade between Aleppo, Alexandria and Istanbul during the Ottoman Empire. The Safra family decided to move to Brazil in 1952. In 1955, Joseph's 23-year-old brother, Edmond Safra, and his father, Jacob Safra, started working in Brazil by financing assets in São Paulo. But soon, Edmond Safra separated from his brothers Joseph and Moise and headed to New York where he founded the Republic National Bank of New York (which he later sold to HSBC in 1999 and donated most of his money to the Edmond Safra Foundation). Joseph Safra founded Banco Safra in 1955 and today it is reportedly the 6th largest private bank in Brazil. He remains the chairman of the Safra Group offering banking services throughout Europe, North and South America.
Safra's business holdings include:
- Fibria Cellulose
- Banco Safra
- Bank Jacob Safra Switzerland
- Safra Group
- Safra National Bank of New York
- The Safra Dynasty: The Mysterious Family Of The Richest Banker In The World
-  retrieved March,2013
- New York Times: "INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS; The Safras of Brazil: Banking, Faith and Security" By SIMON ROMERO December 08, 1999
- Forbes.com: Forbes World's Richest People
- Meet Joseph Safra, The Richest Banker On The Planet and The Safra Dynasty: The Mysterious Family Of The Richest Banker In The World on Business Insider