Joseph Serge Miot
|The Most Reverend
Joseph Serge Miot
|Archbishop of Port-au-Prince|
|Installed||March 1, 2008|
|Term ended||January 12, 2010|
|Ordination||July 4, 1975|
|Consecration||October 12, 1997|
November 23, 1946|
|Died||January 12, 2010
|Denomination||Roman Catholic Church|
|Reference style||The Most Reverend|
|Spoken style||Your Excellency|
Joseph Serge Miot (November 23, 1946 – January 12, 2010) was a Haitian archbishop of the Roman Catholic Church. He was the ninth Archbishop of Port-au-Prince, serving from 2008 until his death as a result of the January 12, 2010 earthquake.
On July 29, 1997, he was appointed Coadjutor Archbishop of Port-au-Prince by Pope John Paul II, because the people had been displeased with Archbishop François-Wolff Ligondé's supposed encouragement of the coup movement — the archdiocesan offices were burned in retribution.[clarification needed] Archbishop Miot received his episcopal consecration on the following October 12 from Archbishop Christophe Pierre, with Archbishops François Gayot, SMM, and Ligondé serving as co-consecrators.
During his tenure, he denounced the incarceration of Fr. Gérard Jean-Juste by the government of Prime Minister Gérard Latortue; Miot later suspended Father Jean-Juste after the priest disobeyed orders to not present himself as a political candidate.
The Port-au-Prince Cathedral, archdiocese offices, and many other churches were destroyed by the earthquake on January 12, 2010. Miot was killed when the force of the quake threw him off his balcony at the papal nunciature. Archbishop Bernardito Auza, Apostolic Nuncio to Haiti, the Apostolic Administrator of the Archdiocese, said that he originally sought an immediate burial for Miot, but that it would have conflicted with local tradition. Miot was buried at Lilavois Cemetery on Saturday, January 23, 2010 immediately after his funeral Mass. Celebrants presiding at the funeral Mass included Timothy Dolan, Archbishop of New York and Chairman of the board of Catholic Relief Services; Thomas Wenski, Bishop of Orlando; and Archbishop Bernardito Auza.
|Consecrated by:||Christophe Pierre|
|Bishop||Date of consecration|
|Joseph Gontrand Décoste||October 18, 2009|
- "Haiti earthquake: devastation emerges". BBC News. 13 January 2010. Retrieved 13 January 2010.
- Joseph Serge Miot at Catholic-Hierarchy. Retrieved on January 16, 2010.
- Concannon, Brian (December 2004). "One Down, 700 To Go". Institute For Justice & Democracy in Haiti. Retrieved 2010-01-16. Unknown parameter
- "Exclusive: Papal nuncio gives dramatic report on Church in Haiti". Denver, Colorado: Catholic News Agency. 2010-01-14. Retrieved 2010-01-16.
- "Funeral held for Haitian archbishop". CNN. January 24, 2010. Retrieved 2010-01-23.
- "Haitian Clergy Mourned at Funeral Mass". Catholic Relief Services. Retrieved 2010-01-23.
|Archbishop of Port-au-Prince