Joseph T. Tracy
|Joseph Trimble Tracy|
|19th Ohio State Auditor|
January 10, 1921 – January 11, 1937
|Preceded by||A. Victor Donahey|
|Succeeded by||Joseph T. Ferguson|
December 28, 1865|
Mt. Pleasant, Henry County, Iowa
|Died||January 2, 1952
|Resting place||Green Lawn Cemetery|
|Spouse(s)||Alnore Anne Arnold|
|Religion||Methodist Episcopal Church|
Life and career
Joseph T. Tracy was born while his parents, Noah and Nancy Ann Freeman Tracy, were living temporarily at Mt. Pleasant, Henry County, Iowa on December 28, 1865. Shortly after his birth, they moved back to Scioto County, Ohio, where Joseph grew up on a farm. He attended the Normal School at West Union, Ohio, and was a school teacher and county school examiner for five years. He then was deputy clerk of courts for Scioto County.
From 1893 to 1899, Tracy was County Auditor for Scioto County. In 1902, he was appointed municipal supervisor in the Bureau of Inspection and Supervision of Public Offices in the State Auditor's Department. He held that office for fourteen years, and helped establish accounting systems in seventy cities. He developed a state wide reputation that lead to his election as a Republican to Ohio State Auditor in 1920. He was re-elected in 1924, 1928 and 1932. He ran for Auditor again in 1940, but lost.
Tracy was married to Alnore Arnold of Portsmouth, Ohio on April 11, 1894. She died January 9, 1921, the day before Tracy was first inaugurated as Auditor. She had five children. Son Roger W. Tracy and grandson Roger W. Tracy, Jr. were also Ohio politicians. Alnore was buried at Green Lawn Cemetery, Columbus, Ohio. Joseph T. Tracy was a member of the Masonic Fraternity, Knights of Pythias, and the King Avenue Methodist Church in Columbus.
- Fess, Simeon D., ed. (1937). Ohio, A four volume reference library on the History of a Great State. 5, Supplementary Biographical. Chicago: Lewis Publishing Company. pp. 428, 429. OCLC 418516. Retrieved 2012-01-19.
- Scobey, F E; Doty, E W (1905). The Biographical Annals of Ohio. Springfield, Ohio: Springfield Publishing Company.
- "Auditor – History". Our Campaigns.com. Retrieved 2012-01-24.
- "1940 Ellection Overview". Ohio Secretary of State. Retrieved 2012-01-24.
- "Candidate detail – Joseph T. Tracy". Our campaigns.com. Retrieved 2012-01-24.
- "Green Lawn Cemetery Burial Records". Retrieved 2011-12-13. -Joseph T. Tracy is listed with middle initial J.
- "Photo of Joseph Tracy from about 1925". Columbus Metropolitan Library. Retrieved 2012-01-19.