Josephine L. Staton
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Central District of California|
June 22, 2010
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Alicemarie Stotler|
|Judge of the Orange County Superior Court|
|Appointed by||Gray Davis|
|Preceded by||Richard Fybel|
|Born||1961 (age 52–53)
St. Louis, Missouri, U.S.
|Alma mater||William Jewell College
Josephine L. Staton (born 1961) is a United States district judge on the United States District Court for the Central District of California.
Early life and education
From 1986 until 1987, Staton was a law clerk for Judge John R. Gibson on the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit.
In 2002, Staton became a Superior Court judge in Orange County, California, based in Santa Ana. She was appointed to the position by Governor Gray Davis to fill the vacancy created when Judge Richard D. Fybel was elevated to the California Court of Appeal in Orange County.
In March 2009, Staton applied for a California federal district court vacancy. After Staton interviewed with officials from the United States Department of Justice and the Office of White House Counsel, on February 4, 2010, President Obama nominated her to fill the vacancy in the Central District created by Judge Alicemarie Stotler taking senior status in January 2009. On March 18, 2010, the United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary reported Staton's nomination to the full Senate, which confirmed Staton on June 21, 2010 in a voice vote. She received her commission on June 22, 2010.
- Central District of California Court Directory
- President Obama Nominates Four to Serve on the United States District Court Bench, whitehouse.gov (February 4, 2010).
- Dena Bunis, Senate sends O.C. judge to federal bench, The Orange County Register (June 21, 2010).
- Allison Lomas, Davis Appoints Attorneys With Diverse Careers to Southern California Courts, Metropolitan News-Enterprise (October 21, 2002).
- Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate 2/4/10, whitehouse.gov (February 4, 2010).
- Josephine L. Staton at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Central District of California