Josh Charles (musician)
|Instruments||Vocals, Piano, Guitar|
Josh Charles is an modern Country pianist and singer/songwriter who was mentored by the famous Dr. John. He has had TV spots on Good Morning America, Tavis Smiley, Voice of America, CNN, and more, and has also been a featured artist in USA Today, LA Weekly, The Huffington Post, and Keyboard Magazine. Most recently, he was the National Spokesman for the Casio Privia,
In the beginning
- Josh was born in La Jolla, California, but grew up in Kansas City. He began classical piano training at age 8, but very quickly realized his passion for the New Orleans sound after hearing it on a local blues radio station.
- As a teenager, Josh played in jazz and blues clubs in Kansas City. He visited New Orleans several times while still in high school where he met Dr. John, who became his longtime friend and mentor.
- After high school, he moved to New York City to work on his music. He studied at the Manhattan School of Music and graduated from NYU. While in school he studied jazz extensively under Barry Harris (legendary pianist / educator). In addition to his classroom education, Josh played all around the city at jazz ,blues, cabaret bars and also discovered a club called Tramps which became a local hangout through which many of the great New Orleans artists passed through on a regular basis. Josh spent much time there honing his craft by watching and sitting in with the greats. Josh also spent time as the lead singer/songwriter of rock bands and experimented with many different styles but always come back to his love of New Orleans music and the piano.
- In August 2005, Josh was in New Orleans preparing to make a move to the city. He was scheduled to hit the recording studio with Tracey Freeman ( Harry Connick, Jr, Jeremy Davenport) on August 30th. Unfortunately, he was forced to catch one of the last buses out of town. He had to evacuate the city he loved due to Hurricane Katrina.
Giving back through "Healing Time"
- Josh Charles is the Artistic Director and co-founder of the Healing Time Foundation, a 501c3 non-profit organization whose goal is to help American cities in need through art and music, with its initial focus on New Orleans and the Gulf Coast.
- Three months after the Hurricane Katrina storm, Josh returned to New Orleans to begin his scheduled recording time with members of Dr. John's band. He found people displaced, heartbroken and hungry. Troubled by images that will never leave him, he wrote "Healing Time". Josh felt that he needed to do something to help his beloved city. He then donated his song and his time to The Preservation Resource Center of New Orleans. A monumental agreement was made with Amazon.com to sell Josh's song and donate 100% of the profits to rebuilding New Orleans. This was the first time that Amazon ever agreed to sell something without taking their 30%. Healing Time is also now available on iTunes.
- On January 19, 2009, Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday, Josh along with the Harlem Boys and Girls Choir performed "Healing Time" on Good Morning America. The performance took place inside the Library of Congress as a part of Good Morning America's coverage of the historical inauguration of Barack Obama as the 44th president of the United States of America.
- In March 2009, Josh embarked on the first leg of his "Rebuild Tour". This leg of the tour took him throughout Louisiana and Texas and concentrated on wide appeal, TV performances and in-stores. He performed in New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Houston, Austin and Dallas. He was also a featured artist at the SXSW Music Conference in Austin. That was a sold out performance.
- The "Rebuild Tour" was made possible through sponsors. The tour began small with many local sponsors, but as the project continues to grow and so does the number of sponsors and their level of involvement. Josh most recently just appeared at the 40th Annual New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival and was also a featured performer at WWOZ's Piano Night at the House Of Blues. Josh will touring in support of Healing Time and The Rebuild Tour through the Fall. Currently, Josh is on tour with Cyril Neville and Buckwheat Zydeco through the Summer.
Love, Work & Money
- In 2010, Josh released his highly anticipated, full-length debut CD, Love, Work & Money. The record featured members of Dr. John’s band and his own touring band, and was recorded in New Orleans and New York. The LP, which features a style of music Josh calls “Notown”—a fusion of New Orleans and Motown—was co-produced with Steve Jabas, and mixed by Grammy-winning engineer and producer Gregg Rubin (who also worked with Harry Connick Jr.) and was released by CC Entertainment/E1.
Trippin' The Keys: Music Of Jimi Hendrix
- His current EP, Trippin' The Keys: Music of Jimi Hendrix, is available as a free download on his website. The unique EP features Josh's interpretations of Jimi's guitar style onto a piano. According to Josh, his “goal for the EP was to imagine: if Jimi was a piano player rather than a guitar virtuoso, what would it sound like with him singing and playing his songs by himself." The track list for the EP features classic Hendrix songs including: “Little Wing,” “All Along the Watchtower,” “Hey Joe,” and “Voodoo Chile.”
Josh Charles New Single
- Josh Charles has just released a brand new country single "Life Ain't Fair" to critical acclaim on Down Home Records / Interscope and was co-written with Milton L. Brown
"Wasted on Love" single (2013)
- "Life Ain't Fair" single (2011)
- Love, Work and Money (2010)
- Trippin' The Keys: Music Of Jimi Hendrix (2010)
- PBS: Tavis Smiley 8/28/09
- CNN Story 7/4/2009: MUSICIAN GIVES BACK TO NEW ORLEANS
- ABC's Good Morning America with the Girls and Boys Choir of Harlem Alumni from the Library of Congress January 19, 2009
- WWL TV - New Orleans, Louisiana
- WGNO ABC- New Orleans, Louisiana
- FOX 8 - New Orleans, Louisiana
- WAFB - Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- WBRZ (ABC) - Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- NBC 33 - Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- KPRC (NBC) - Houston, Texas
- KVUE (ABC) - Austin, Texas
- KDFW Fox 4 - Dallas, Texas
- NBC NY Nightly News - New York, New York
- Talk Market - New York, New York
- Rock The Vote
- All Access Live
- Live From Louisiana Music Factory
- WWOZ - New Orleans, Louisiana
- WNTI - Hackettstown, New Jersey
- WWNO - NPR All Things Considered - New Orleans, Louisiana
- WFUV - New York, New York
- WRXP - New York, New York
- WOR - Joey Reynolds Show - New York, New York
- WWOZ - Piano Night, Live @ The House Of Blues - New Orleans, Louisiana
- Mainstream Isn't So Bad... Is It? 11/24/2010: Trippin' The Keys
- Play It Loud 11/20/2010: Josh Charles Perfectly Executes Hendrix Covers On New Album
- Keyboard Mag 08/01/2010: New Orleans Piano With Josh Charles
- NJ 07/16/2010: Josh Charles Finds Inspiration In Sounds of New Orleans
- Voice Of America 06/21/2010: Josh Charles' Debut Album Aims to Help Lift Spirits, Rebuild New Orleans
- Times Free Press 06/04/2010: Big Easy spirit, Motown Soul Unite
- Huffington Post 9/25/09: Interview: Visionary Entertainer Josh Charles
- USA Today 6/16/09: Josh Charles "Time" Can Help Heal New Orleans' Wounds
- da Silva Artists - Josh Charles
- KVUE SXSW Interview with Josh Charles
- Offbeat Magazine Let The Healing Begin interview with Josh Charles
- WWOZ Piano Night 2009 Artists - Josh Charles
- Preservation Resource Center of New Orleans News: Download A Song, Help Build A Home featuring Josh Charles