Donaldson playing for the Oakland Athletics.
|Oakland Athletics – No. 20|
December 8, 1985 |
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|April 30, 2010 for the Oakland Athletics|
(through 2013 season)
|Runs batted in||130|
Donaldson officially converted to third base from catching in the beginning of the 2012 season during spring training. Donaldson started the regular season as the everyday third baseman for the A's for the first half, but due to struggles he was sent to the Triple-A Sacramento River Cats for a good part of the season. Donaldson was recalled in mid August after everyday third baseman Brandon Inge was placed on the 15-day disabled list with an injured arm. Donaldson filled in for Inge and proved to the A's organization that he was capable of holding the everyday job. Donaldson finished the season helping the A's into the postseason. And making a valiant effort in the ALDS. Donaldson finished the 2012 season with 9 home runs and 33 RBI with an average of .241
Donaldson started the 2013 season strong. He hit his first career walk-off home run on April 12 against Detroit Tigers reliever Brayan Villarreal. His shot was also the first walk-off win for the A's in 2013. Donaldson also hit his first career grand slam on June 7 against Chicago White Sox hurler Chris Sale.
Donaldson was raised by only his mother, Lisa French, with his father Levon Donaldson having been imprisoned for most of his childhood. He was bullied in his first high school and then transferred to Faith Academy, where he played baseball and football.
His father watched him play baseball in person for the first time on September 13th, 2013 against the Texas Rangers in Arlington, Texas. He had two hits in three at bats, walking twice, with a homer, a double and three runs batted in, in a 9-8 Athletics victory.
- Cubs acquire right-handed pitchers Rich Harden and Chad Gaudin from Oakland
- Suzuki on 15-day DL with intercostal strain
- Slusser, Susan (May 23, 2013). "A's Donaldson takes nothing for granted". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved September 14, 2013.
- Slusser, Susan (September 14, 2013). "A's hold off Rangers in 9-8 marathon". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 2013-09-16.
- Brown, Tim (September 15, 2013). "A's Josh Donaldson shows father what he missed". Yahoo Sports. Retrieved 2013-09-16.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Auburn Tigers bio