|New York Mets – No. 66|
December 17, 1986 |
Three Springs, Pennsylvania
|Bats: Left||Throws: Leftt|
|July 13, 2012 for the New York Mets|
(through 2013 season)
|Earned run average||4.14|
Joshua Wayne Edgin (born December 17, 1986) is an American Major League Baseball pitcher for the New York Mets. Before he began his professional career, he played college baseball at Ohio State University and Francis Marion University. He served as a closer.
Edgin attended high school at Mercersburg Academy in Mercersburg, Pennsylvania. There, he won the state championship in wrestling as a junior, finishing fourth in national competition. However, a torn labrum in his non-pitching shoulder forced him to give up wrestling, as he declined to have surgery to avoid missing the baseball season.
Edgin then enrolled at Ohio State University (OSU), where he played college baseball for the Ohio State Buckeyes baseball team, competing in the Big Ten Conference of the National Collegiate Athletic Association's (NCAA) Division I, in 2007 and 2008. At first a starting pitcher, OSU coaches began to use Edgin as a relief pitcher in his sophomore season.
The Atlanta Braves drafted him in the 50th round of the 2009 MLB Draft, 1,498th overall. However, the Braves did not sign him, as they had no minor league team to assign Edgin. Wanting an opportunity to start, Edgin transferred to Francis Marion University, where he pitched for the Francis Marion Patriots in NCAA's Division II in 2009 and 2010.
New York Mets
Edgin split the 2010 season between the Kingsport Mets of the Rookie-level Appalachian League and the Savannah Sand Gnats of the Class-A South Atlantic League. He split the 2011 season between Savannah and the St. Lucie Mets of the Class-A Advanced Florida State League. The Mets invited him to spring training in 2012 after Tim Byrdak required surgery. They assigned him to the Binghamton Mets of the Class-AA Eastern League, where he served as the team's closer. After six appearances with Binghamton, the Mets promoted Edgin to the Buffalo Bisons of the Class-AAA International League.
Edgin was called up to join the Mets on July 13, 2012. He made his debut that same day against the Atlanta Braves. He made 41 appearances in the minor leagues, and 34 with the Mets. On August 2, 2013, he was put on the DL for 4 to 6 weeks after a stress fracture in a rib.
- "Josh Edgin has eye on Mets' lefty specialist role | mets.com: News". Mlb.com. Major League Baseball Advanced Media. Retrieved 2012-04-24.
- Dominitz, Nathan. "Sand Gnats Nine: Q and A with pitcher Josh Edgin". savannahnow.com. Retrieved 2012-04-24.
- "Josh Edgin making his pitch for big-league Mets". TCPalm.com. Retrieved 2012-04-24.
- "Flying Fleet buzz FMU at NCAA Regional Tournament - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather". Wmbfnews.com. Retrieved 2012-04-24.
- "FMU's Josh Edgin selected in MLB Draft - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather". Wmbfnews.com. 2010-06-09. Retrieved 2012-04-24.
- "Lefty Edgin unlikely to make Mets' roster | mets.com: News". Newyork.mets.mlb.com. Retrieved 2012-04-24.
- "B-Mets deep with prospects, expectations | Press & Sun-Bulletin". pressconnects.com. 2012-04-04. Retrieved 2012-04-24.
- "Binghamton Mets' Rodriguez named player of week | Press & Sun-Bulletin". pressconnects.com. Retrieved 2012-04-24.
- "Mets Place Edgin On DL, Call Up Feliciano; Parnell Out With Stiff Neck". CBS News. Retrieved 3 August 2013.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)