Gordon in 2014.
No. 12 Cleveland Browns
|Date of birth:April 13, 1991|
|Place of birth: Houston, Texas|
|High school: Houston (TX) Lamar|
|Supplemental Draft: 2012 / Round: 2|
|Debuted in 2012 for the Cleveland Browns|
Career highlights and awards
Career NFL statistics as of 2014
Joshua Caleb Gordon (born April 13, 1991) is an American football wide receiver for the Cleveland Browns of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Browns in the second round of the 2012 NFL Supplemental Draft. He played college football at Baylor.
- 1 Early years
- 2 College career
- 3 Professional career
- 4 Substance abuse problems
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Awards and achievements
- 7 Personal life
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Gordon attended Lamar High School in Houston, Texas, where he played football, basketball and ran track. He played basketball as a sophomore. In football, he caught 20 passes for 363 yards and four touchdowns as junior. As a senior, he was named first-team All-District 20-5A after totaling 25 receptions for 531 yards (21.2 average) and nine touchdowns.
He also competed in track & field as a senior, where he ran a leg on the Lamar 4x100m and 4x200m relay squads, helping them capture the state title in both events with times of 42.69 seconds and 1:30.43 minutes, respectively.
During the college recruitment period Gordon was targeted by Baylor, Houston, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, and Texas Tech. According to Rivals.com Gordon was ranked as a 3-star wide receiver while Scout.com rated him as a 2-star at the position.
|Name||Hometown||High school / college||Height||Weight||40‡||Commit date|
|Houston, Texas||Lamar||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)||225 lb (102 kg)||4.40||Jan 26, 2009|
|Scout: Rivals: 247Sports: N/A ESPN grade: 75|
|Overall recruiting rankings: Scout: 224 (WR) Rivals: 70 (WR) ESPN: 128 (WR)|
Gordon accepted an athletic scholarship to play football for Baylor University. However in October 2010, during his sophomore year, he and teammate Willie Jefferson were found asleep at a local Taco Bell. Police found marijuana in Jefferson’s car. Jefferson, who was driving, was kicked off the team due to it being his second violation, but Gordon was only suspended.
2012 NFL Draft
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 3 in||224 lb||32⅓ in||10 in||4.52 s||1.57 s||2.64 s||35½ in||10 ft 2 in||13 reps|
Cleveland Browns (2012–present)
Gordon finished among the top rookie receivers in the 2012 draft class. He finished with 50 catches, for 805 yards, and 5 touchdowns. Gordon scored his first career touchdown against the New York Giants, where he finished the game with 2 catches for 82 yards and 2 touchdowns. Gordon had his first 100 yard game against the Oakland Raiders in week 13, where he finished with 6 catches for 116 yards and 1 touchdown. Gordon had a career high of 8 catches against the Kansas City Chiefs in week 14.
During week 12, Gordon had 237 receiving yards and in week 13, 261 yards. It marked the first time in NFL history a wide receiver had back-to-back 200-yard receiving games. On December 26, 2013, He was named the Cleveland Chapter PFWA Player of the Year following the season.
On December 27, 2013, Josh Gordon was voted to his first Pro Bowl Selection.
Substance abuse problems
On June 7, 2013, the NFL announced that Gordon would be suspended for the first two games of the 2013 season due to violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy.
On August 27, 2014, Gordon acknowledged that the NFL suspended him for one year for violating the league's substance-abuse policy. On September 19, 2014, his suspension was reduced to 10 games amidst the new NFL drug policy. Gordon was officially reinstated on November 17.
On December 27, 2014, exactly one year removed from being selected into the Pro Bowl, the Browns suspended Gordon from the final game of the 2014 season due to a violation of team rules.
As of January 2015, Gordon faces another year-long suspension due to testing positive for alcohol use. Gordon entered the NFL's substance abuse program after pleading guilty to a driving while impaired charge in September 2014 and was prohibited from consuming alcohol during his time in the program. Gordon was officially suspended for one year on February 3, 2015 and wont be able to return until the start of the 2016 season.
~Sat out the season
^Includes Bowl Game
|^ 2010||Baylor||Big 12||13||42||714||17.0||94||7|
|~ 2011||Utah||PAC 12||-||-||-||-||-||-|
Awards and achievements
- Most consecutive games, 200+ yards receiving: 2 (11/24/13, 237 yards; 12/01/13, 261 yards)
- Most receiving yards, two-game span: 498 yards (11/24/13, 237 yards; 12/01/13, 261 yards)
- Most receiving yards, three-game span: 649 yards (11/24/13, 237 yards; 12/01/13, 261 yards; 12/08/13, 151 yards)
- Most receiving yards, four-game span: 774 yards (11/17/13, 125 yards; 11/24/13, 237 yards; 12/01/13, 261 yards; 12/08/13, 151 yards)
Browns franchise records
- Most receiving yards, game: 261 yards (12/01/13 vs. Jacksonville)
- Most receiving yards, season: 1646 yards (2013)
- "Josh Gordon Pro Football Reference Profile". pro-football-reference.com.
- Josh Gordon the big story in supplemental draft
- NFL supplemental draft: Josh Gordon's potential worthy of mid-round flier
- Despite pulled quad, Josh Gordon impresses at workout before supplemental draft
- "Josh Gordon". Scout.com. Retrieved July 13, 2012.
- "Josh Gordon". Rivals.com. Retrieved 13 July 2012.
- McClain, John (July 12, 2012). "Former Baylor WR Josh Gordon hopes to leave his past behind him". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved July 13, 2012.
- "Receiver-starved Browns gamble on Josh Gordon in Supplemental Draft". Sports Illustrated. July 12, 2012. Retrieved July 13, 2012.
- Davis, Nate (July 12, 2012). "Browns select ex-Baylor WR Josh Gordon in supplemental draft". USA Today. Retrieved July 13, 2012.
- Schefter, Adam (July 12, 2012). "Browns take Josh Gordon in Round 2". ESPN. Retrieved July 13, 2012.
- Josh Gordon's consecutive 200-yard games set record
- "Gordon, Thomas honored by PFWA". clevelandbrowns.com. Retrieved December 26, 2013.
- Jones, Lindsay (July 5, 2014). "Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon arrested for DWI". USA Today. Retrieved July 7, 2014.
- Kay, Joe (June 7, 2013). "Browns WR Josh Gordon suspended for 2 games". Yahoo! Sports. Retrieved June 7, 2013.
- "Josh Gordon suspended 1 year". ESPN. August 26, 2014. Retrieved August 26, 2014.
- "Browns' Josh Gordon reinstated from suspension". NFL.com. November 17, 2014. Retrieved November 17, 2014.
- "Josh Gordon suspended by Cleveland Browns". NFL.com. December 27, 2014. Retrieved December 27, 2014.
- "Josh Gordon facing 1-year ban". ESPN.com. January 25, 2015. Retrieved January 25, 2015.
- "Josh Gordon fails another substance abuse test, faces 1-year suspension, per report". SB Nation. January 25, 2015. Retrieved January 25, 2015.
- "NFL suspends WR Josh Gordon". ESPN. 2015-02-03. Retrieved 2015-02-03.
- "Flash Gordon". Instagram. Retrieved 25 February 2015.