|Born||Josh Richard Grispi
October 14, 1988
|Other names||The Fluke|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight||145 lb (66 kg; 10.4 st)|
|Reach||74.0 in (188 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Rockland, Massachusetts|
|Team||South Shore Sportfighting|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Grispi, a talented hockey player, was kicked out of many schools and even a paintball facility before venturing into mixed martial arts when he was 13 years old, following the advice of his father. Grispi went to South Shore Sportfighting, where he still trains today. The sport grew on Grispi, and he began fighting in New Hampshire and Massachusetts, winning local tournaments while often being the youngest competitor.
Mixed martial arts career
World Extreme Cagefighting
After beginning his career in 2006 and going 10-1 in smaller promotions, Grispi was signed by the WEC.
He made his promotional debut against Mark Hominick at WEC 32, locking in a rear-naked choke submission in the first round. This was followed up by an early first round TKO victory over Micah Miller.
His next fight came against former UFC Lightweight Champion Jens Pulver at WEC 41 on June 7, 2009. He won the fight via guillotine choke submission 33 seconds into the fight. Two days before the Pulver fight, Grispi injured his ankle while training, but agreed to fight anyway. He underwent surgery and returned in the summer of 2010.
Grispi returned after a year off to face LC Davis on June 20, 2010 at WEC 49. Grispi submitted Davis by guillotine choke submission at 2:33 of the first round, earning Submission of the Night honors.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Grispi was expected to face Erik Koch on November 11, 2010 at WEC 52. However, in October 2010, World Extreme Cagefighting merged with the Ultimate Fighting Championship. As part of the merger, all WEC fighters were transferred to the UFC.
He was expected to fight José Aldo at UFC 125 for the UFC Featherweight Championship but Aldo was forced to withdraw due to injury. Risking his #1 contender status, Grispi instead fought late replacement Dustin Poirier at the event and lost via unanimous decision. Grispi suffered a jaw injury in the fight which sidelined him for 5 months.
Grispi was expected to face Pablo Garza on August 4, 2012 at UFC on FOX 4. However, Garza was forced out of the bout and replaced by Rani Yahya. Grispi lost to Yahya after he tapped out to a north–south choke in the first round.
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|19 matches||14 wins||5 losses|
|Loss||14–5||Andy Ogle||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fuel TV: Barao vs. McDonald||February 16, 2013||3||5:00||London, England|
|Loss||14–4||Rani Yahya||Submission (north/south choke)||UFC on Fox: Shogun vs. Vera||August 4, 2012||1||3:15||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Loss||14–3||George Roop||KO (body punch)||The Ultimate Fighter 13 Finale||June 4, 2011||3||3:14||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||14–2||Dustin Poirier||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 125||January 1, 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||14–1||LC Davis||Technical submission (guillotine choke)||WEC 49||June 20, 2010||1||2:33||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada||Submission of the Night|
|Win||13–1||Jens Pulver||Submission (guillotine choke)||WEC 41||June 7, 2009||1||0:33||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Win||12–1||Micah Miller||TKO (punches)||WEC 35||August 3, 2008||1||0:50||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||11–1||Mark Hominick||Technical submission (rear-naked choke)||WEC 32||February 18, 2008||1||2:55||Rio Rancho, New Mexico, United States|
|Win||10–1||Spencer Paige||KO (head kick)||FFP: Untamed 18||December 15, 2007||1||0:11||Plymouth, Massachusetts, United States|
|Win||9–1||Paul Gorman||Submission (triangle choke)||FFP: Untamed 14||June 16, 2007||1||2:29||Plymouth, Massachusetts, United States|
|Win||8–1||Glen Medeiras||KO (punches)||RF: Domination||April 28, 2007||1||0:40||Concord, New Hampshire, United States|
|Win||7–1||Charlie Murphy||Submission (armbar)||WFL 16: Moment of Truth 2||March 31, 2007||1||N/A||Revere, Massachusetts, United States|
|Win||6–1||Fernando Bernandino||Decision (majority)||FFP: Untamed 10||March 10, 2007||3||5:00||Plymouth, Massachusetts, United States|
|Win||5–1||Edward Odquina||Submission (armbar)||WFL 15: Winter Brawl 2007||February 3, 2007||1||1:11||Revere, Massachusetts, United States|
|Loss||4–1||Henrique Bilcalho||Submission (heel hook)||CZ 19: Above and Beyond||December 2, 2006||1||1:32||Revere, Massachusetts, United States|
|Win||4–0||Eddie Felix||TKO (punches)||FFP: Untamed 8||November 18, 2006||1||0:49||Mansfield, Massachusetts, United States|
|Win||3–0||Cylde Ganthier||KO (punches)||WFL 12: Calloway Cup 3||October 28, 2006||1||N/A||Revere, Massachusetts, United States|
|Win||2–0||Dan Bonnell||Submission (guillotine choke)||CZ 18||October 14, 2006||1||0:27||Revere, Massachusetts, United States|
|Win||1–0||Nick Zimmerman||TKO (punches)||RF: Invasion||September 26, 2006||1||0:18||Manchester, New Hampshire, United States|
- "Josh Grispi". ufc.com. Retrieved 2011-03-24.
- "Relentless Mike Brown outlasts Urijah Faber, retains title in WEC 41 main event". mmajunkie.com. June 7, 2009.
- "WEC Featherweight Josh Grispi Rehabbing From Ankle Surgery". mmaforreal.com. Retrieved 2010-01-26.
- "Josh Grispi makes return against L.C. Davis on WEC 49 main card". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2010-04-13.
- "WEC 49 bonuses: Hominick, Jabouin, Wineland and Grispi each earn $10k awards". mmajunkie.com. June 21, 2010.
- "Josh Grispi vs. Erik Koch targeted for WEC 52 in November". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2010-09-16.
- "UFC and WEC set to merge in 2011; events to air on Versus and Spike TV". mmajunkie.com. October 28, 2010.
- "With Jose Aldo out, Dustin Poirier faces Josh Grispi at UFC 125". mmajunkie.com. 2010-11-24.
- "UFC 125 medical suspensions: Nasal fractures hit Edgar, Vera, Davis, and Baroni". mmajunkie.com. 2011-01-03.
- "The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 13 Finale: Josh Grispi vs George Roop booked for June 4 in Las Vegas". mmamania.com. 2011-02-13.
- "UFC 136: Josh Grispi vs Matt Grice possible for Oct. 8 in Houston, Texas". mmamania.com. 2011-07-14.
- Pennick, Jamie (August 11, 2011). "Josh Grispi out of UFC 136, Nam Phan steps up to face Matt Grice in Houston". MMATorch.com. Retrieved August 11, 2011.
- "UFC on FOX 4 adds Grispi-Garza". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved May 22, 2012.
- "UFC on FOX 4 gets Josh Grispi vs Rani Yahya". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved June 6, 2012.
- John Petit (2012-12-04). "Josh Grispi and Andy Ogle Fighting in London". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-12-04.
- MMAjunkie.com Staff (February 20, 2013). "UFC releases Jon Fitch, Vladimir Matyushenko, 14 others". mmajunkie.com.